Model Cars Magazine Forum

2085 VETTE JET! 8th Scale Corvette Flying Car...Finished!

Ira

Ira

This thing is looking great but I believe there is a huge flaw in the wing design and the car couldn't fly. Airplane wings, generally, are flat on bottom and curved on top. The reasoning to this is because the wing is curved on top, the air flowing over the wing is forced to move faster than the air flowing under the wing. This causes a lower air pressure above the wing, than the pressure beneath it casing the wing to be pushed to the lower pressure, lifting the wing.

See below photo for a example of what I am talking about. :P

airfoil_zpsc1247f08.jpg

Ira

This thing is looking great but I believe there is a huge flaw in the wing design and the car couldn't fly. Airplane wings, generally, are flat on bottom and curved on top. The reasoning to this is because the wing is curved on top, the air flowing over the wing is forced to move faster than the air flowing under the wing. This causes a lower air pressure above the wing, than the pressure beneath it casing the wing to be pushed to the lower pressure, lifting the wing.

airfoil_zpsc1247f08.jpg

:o Ken, you are telling us that you don't know the extraterrestrial technology copied from the aliens UFO's... :D:P;)

Edited by midengineaddict

Ira, I've been watching your builds for years. You never cease to amaze!!!! This is one beautiful build!... Thanks for the inspiration and entertainment!...Joe

Thanks for the kind words Joe!

They are a great inspiration to me... B)

Edited by Ira

Great job Ira! Have you ever tried repulsion with magnets? You have to get them just right. My son did a science project with magnets and repulsion, and it was difficult to get them lined up. But it does work. Just a lot of experimentation! Just a thought...Joe

maybe with a sort of parabolic magnets pattern on the base, it could work B)

Edited by midengineaddict

Ira

airfoil_zpsc1247f08.jpg

Thanks for the Airplane Wing info Ken!

This is a Fantasy/Sci Fi Build like the Star Wars Land Speeder. These vehicles rely on Vertical Thrusters and Anti-Gravity Generators for lift. The Wings are just to help stabilize the Vette Jet. It's like the Sci Fi Movies, just for Fun... B)

Great job Ira! Have you ever tried repulsion with magnets? You have to get them just right. My son did a science project with magnets and repulsion, and it was difficult to get them lined up. But it does work. Just a lot of experimentation! Just a thought...Joe

Thanks Joe!

I've been playing with magnets but I haven't been able to float a model yet. How did your son do it?

How many batteries did he use?

B)

Ira, its difficult to get them lined up, but the magnets in the base need to be slightly angled inwards toward the center of the subject. If the magnets were held straight, the model would just push to one side or the other. I do have to admit, we got it to float, but it would not stay and we had to hold it by hand to stay over the magnets. Its a lot of R&D. Come to think of it, it was a real pain! LOL...I will have to experiment with it more...Joe