Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another LHS closing

Wings hobby shop in Lakewood,OH (Cleveland) is closing. They were a true full service shop, plastic kits of every kind, large railroad section, books, magazines, tools & building supplies, even a craft/toy area. It even looks like a hobby shop should look. Housed in an older slightly worn building with an eclectic group of neighbor shops. They have been owned by the same family & in the same location for 50 plus years. A sad day for sure.

Sad indeed. I make my way to St. Louis every year or so, and always make it a point to visit CRM hobbies. An old school shop nestled in an old neighborhood I am always aware that it is one of a dying breed and dread the day I visit and find a "Closed" sign.

I know that it's a real shame that we're losing our family owned local shops, we really need them, but we all need to remember that when we go to the internet to look for that new kit. I'm guilty of buying this way also,but I make a special point of asking my favorite local shop if there is any way they can order it for me first. I've even passed on a few things I wanted when I found them when I was out of town, & waited until I could get it from the local shop.

It isn't all gloom & doom though, we've had two family owned & operated stores open in town in the past few years, & one of those dreaded RC (car) only shops.

Well I lived in Lakewood for three years, and while it was a time I wasn't particularly active in the hobby, I never knew it was even there. Therein lies at least part of the problem, the only "LHS" I knew of was the HTUSA in Strongsville.

Parma Hobby is still open. They are located on Ridge Rd. just south of Brookpark Rd.