Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

That should be a very nice replica when done Bob, a lot of hard work is going to pay off!

Those bumpers almost look out of scale, but then I remembered it was the mid-70s and all domestic cars had those big ugly bumpers! :lol:

Thank you very much Mike !

Actually you are right , the rear bumper is a bit larger than it should be . I'm still thinking about how to trim it down a little .

When I first saw a new El Camino back in '73 I couldn't stand those big old ugly bumpers , but they don't look so bad to me now ! B)

I'm waiting for paint to dry so I finished the decals and printed them .

These are the factory SS stripes . There are some extras for when I screw something up ! :D

I made some hood stripes but instead of being rectangular shaped I tapered them to match the hood . I'm not sure I'll use these .

And here are the side marker lamps , again I made extras !

Edited by TooOld

Those will look nice! Did factory SS come with hood stripes? Or was that a option?

I'm not positive but I don't think they were an option on either the Chevelle SS or the El Camino SS . Of the few I've seen with the hood stripes they are all different and look like an owner installed item .

Nice job on those factory stripes, Bob!

I'm not positive but I don't think they were an option on either the Chevelle SS or the El Camino SS . Of the few I've seen with the hood stripes they are all different and look like an owner installed item .

The 70 - 72 hood stripes were definitely not factory for any 73+ Chevelles or El Caminos. 73 - 77 El Camino SS all had the side/rear tape stripes that you reproduced, in either black or white. 73 Chevelle SS and 74 Laguna Type S-3 had lower body contrasting color painted stripes. 75 and 76 Lagunas had a different style lower body paint stripe,,which were made optional in those years.

That doesn't stop a lot of people from adding the 70 - 72 hood stripes to these cars/trucks. When done well, it can look good, even though it's gotten to the point that it's almost too common (which is another reason many people start wondering if it was available from the factory).

If I can give my unsolicited advice :D I say just stick with the factory style stripes you've got there. They look so well done, and I think adding the hood stripes in addition to those might make it look a little too busy. Just my 2 cents...

Heh, the bumpers sure are huge! The guy who sold us the Stock Eliminator '74 Chevelle told me that when they painted the car, they needed three persons to lift up the front bumper. :D

Fantastic work, Bob! This is one of my favorite builds on this forum. The subject is very interesting and you're doing an excellent conversion with this. Truly amazing work, the bumpers look very realistic too. I can't wait to see this one finished, and this makes me inspired on starting my '73 Chevelle immediately when I get my Frontrunners ready...

Edited by W-409

If I can give my unsolicited advice :D I say just stick with the factory style stripes you've got there. They look so well done, and I think adding the hood stripes in addition to those might make it look a little too busy. Just my 2 cents...

I really appreciate your advice Robert and I think I agree with you ! I cut out a paper copy of the stripes and taped them to the body so I could see how they looked . After looking at it for a day or so I've decided to leave the hood stripes off , like you said it's just "too busy" . They were never part of my original plan and I never would have installed them on my real El Camino .

Thanks ! :D

Bob your real close to finishing this baby up and it looks great. You have really great skill. Looking forward to your next progress pictures...

Thanks Carl !

Maybe just a couple more progress photos then it will be finished !

Heh, the bumpers sure are huge! The guy who sold us the Stock Eliminator '74 Chevelle told me that when they painted the car, they needed three persons to lift up the front bumper. :D

Fantastic work, Bob! This is one of my favorite builds on this forum. The subject is very interesting and you're doing an excellent conversion with this. Truly amazing work, the bumpers look very realistic too. I can't wait to see this one finished, and this makes me inspired on starting my '73 Chevelle immediately when I get my Frontrunners ready...

Thank you very much Niko !

I can see needing three guys if they were installing the bumpers on a freshly painted car , they were pretty heavy !

Looking forward to your '73 Chevelle ( I'm still on the waiting list ) , PLEASE build it next ! :rolleyes: