Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Ford F350 Service Truck

First thing I thought of when I saw your truck. This company has all orange trucks and features them prominently in their commercials. You see them on the road all the time:

main-img7.jpg

The town of Edison, NJ has all their town vehicles painted orange. Including all the cars the building inspectors, etc use!

Thanks guys.

The orange was actually a compromise- originally, I didn't know if I wanted to do the truck with a service body or with a stake bed. I had planned to go with Competition Orange if I built it as a flatbed, but Oxford White if I did it as a servie truck. My hometown used to have a couple of these with flatbeds and painted the ever-popular "county orange" and I always liked seeing them around. I figured orange would be a good choice for the "old municpal truck" look I was after, and ultimately just kind of crossed my fingers it would look good on a service truck. Just a few days ago I saw a newer Ford service truck painted completely orange, so I guess I wasn't too far off the mark. :D

First thing I thought of when I saw your truck. This company has all orange trucks and features them prominently in their commercials. You see them on the road all the time:

main-img7.jpg

The town of Edison, NJ has all their town vehicles painted orange. Including all the cars the building inspectors, etc use!

I take it your from Jersey? What part? I live in Bordentown

Edited by REDNECK7109

I take it your from Jersey? What part? I live in Bordentown

I am from Hazlet NJ, Monmouth County. I moved to Exton, PA a few years ago for a job. I do run back to NJ a lot, especially once a month for my Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meeting.

Nice to meet a fellow builder from Jersey

And you should! You are less than an hour away from our club meeting! Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meets in Perth Amboy on the 2nd Saturday of each month, 1-5 pm. The home of NNL East. Small group, friendly meeting, and we always have food! Check out our website for more info, consider yourself invited....

www.tssmcc.org

You did a beautiful job, do you mind if I maybe copy your idea for this and use one of those hendrix bodies on the monogram f250?

Like the one seen here:

I'd say go for it! You don't see too many model trucks done up with service bodies.

pyrite_rear1-vi.jpgMVC001S-vi.jpgMVC002S1-vi.jpgMVC003S-vi.jpg

And guys it's not all that difficult to scratch build the service box either. It's all straight lines! I built this one by scaling a side shot of the truck to 1/25 and just copying the dimensions off of that. I used Evergreen sheet in one of the thicker sizes, and Evergreen strips for the inner corners for strength. I believe I used the bed floor from on of the AMT '55 Chevy pickups and built around it. The only tough part is getting the corresponding sides to match. You do that by taping two pieces of Evergreen together and cutting them that way. Perfect match, especially when carving out and sanding the wheel opening.

The slam locks came from Don Mills Models. You can do it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Tom's right, they are pretty easy to make. I need to dig out the one I started a few years back. I just used some .040 Plastruct sheet, and if I recall the wheel openings have the rear fender flares from a Jeep CJ-5. It needs some bodywork and slam latches, that, and I need to remember where I put it...