Model Cars Magazine Forum

jo-han funny cars

Don't be a kit collector, be a modeler.

lol ok I opened up the challenger looks pretty good for an old kit

I love the chassis of the mustang but fords are not my thing I grabbed them cuz I thought I got them on the cheap

Both of these kits are based of actual real life funny cars and can be built as such. The Mustang being the Mickey Thompson car and the Challenger is the Gene Snow car. Slixx has the decals to do them both correctly.

These kits are very accurate for their time and still hold up rather well. And no, they have not been re-issued in quite some time.

Have fun and build them!

Your price was GREAT on the Jo-Han kits, so-so on the Revell kits I got the top one for $9 from Freds Model World.

I would love to have the Mooneyes, but with the kits I have a set of decals would work. Is that a Dodge Avenger?

But, Yes!

For Heavens Sake!

BUILD EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!

Who wants to look at a "picture box? Come to think of it pictures would be "so" much cheaper . . . . . . . . .

:o

OH NO, PLEASE DON'T TELL MY WIFE!!!!

:lol:

Thank You for sharing

Happy Building

Later
Russ

;)

I only payed 15 for the revell kits lol

im going to build the challenger box stock as the kit deserves

but as for the mustang Im not sure what im going to do with it. I love drag history and the chassis is great but im not a very big ford fan

ill start the challenger tomorrow and ill make this the wip thread

thanks guys and please tune in

and any tips for building this kit please do share I have never touched a jo-han before today

I only payed 15 for the revell kits lol

im going to build the challenger box stock as the kit deserves

but as for the mustang Im not sure what im going to do with it. I love drag history and the chassis is great but im not a very big ford fan

ill start the challenger tomorrow and ill make this the wip thread

thanks guys and please tune in

and any tips for building this kit please do share I have never touched a jo-han before today

Well the Mustang kit allready has a Hemi...but a Ford one. ;)

If you want to do Shirley's car it's easier to use the recently reissued MPC Mustang Funny Car Kits as a starting point as you only have to change decals.

The Jo-Han Funny Car kits will most likely never be re-issued again but these are the latest issues under the Seville ownership under the 90's and the availabillity on those are quite good and the prices aren't that bad...if it had been the original Mickey Thompson and Gene Snow issues it would be a bit different, they are the same kits as these except for decals and boxart but has greater value and are more of a collectable.

So you do right building them as models are for building.

Edited by Force

You can always put a Hemi in the Mustang and get some Slixx decals of Shirley Muldowney's car

Brother you just saved this car. Im 27 and Heart like a wheel has been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid (next to 1986 catch me if you can)

I completely forgot that she drove a mustang to win her nitro championship.

As bad as it seems the fire in her plymouth sticks to mind.

Correction on myself she has an explosion in 72 with the 2nd mustang too lol

Looks like they both get a build now the only question to ask is

Should the mustang get full plumbing

Edited by shift13

Well the Mustang kit allready has a Hemi...but a Ford one. ;)

If you want to do Shirley's car it's easier to use the recently reissued MPC Mustang Funny Car Kits as a starting point as you only have to change decals.

Sorry, I should have been more specific on which Mustang. The JoHan kit is correct for the Frederick's of Hollywood car.

Like this one by some guy named John! :D

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40117

John used an MPC car, but the Johan is correct style body with no Mach Hood Scoops on it.

Edited by Daddyfink

I had when I was a bit younger, both of those Johan kits. They are a great build and come out quite accurately. Why buy if you don't build?

I grabbed them because of the fact they are scarce. I had intentions to build the challenger but then I grabbed the mustang because I felt I got it on the cheap and Sometimes I buy things as small investments lol. If I can make some extra money places that helps my addiction with this hobby. Sweet we all know how expencive A/N fittings can get

Keep in mind the chassis between the Johan Mustang versus the MPC Mustang are very different ( if that matters to you )

Either way the Johan kits build into very nice shelf dispay pieces ( i have several of each )

Sorry, I should have been more specific on which Mustang. The JoHan kit is correct for the Frederick's of Hollywood car.

Like this one by some guy named John! :D

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40117

John used an MPC car, but the Johan is correct style body with no Mach Hood Scoops on it.

Is the chassis going to atleast be close for her car? This is the one I want to build because it was her first f/c she bought from connie

I cant seem to find many reference photos even searching it as the bounty hunter

Edited by shift13

When Connie Kalitta still had the car.

I would almost bet the chassis didn't change much , if at all from one car to the other.

Edit, Looking at the picture I am not 100% sure the chassis shot is the 1971 car( might be the 1969-70 car )

BUT, I thought I had a picture of the Kalitta 1971 car with the body up but it might be on the other PC . so I will keep looking and post it when ( if ) I find it

Connie-Kalitta.jpg

Connie_Kalitta_1971.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Bill, I would say that the top pic (body up), is the '69-'70 car, going by the space frame & interior tin work, by '71 pretty much all the F/C's were running digger style frames, as you can see in the lower pic, you cannot see the rollcage at all, the square type cage from the late 60's was partly visible through the side windows.

Shirley's car was a hand me down from Connie Kalitta with an older chassis with a newer body. It was intended more of a match racer than a national competitor. Remember this was the time frame when you could run three match races in a week and pay the bills. You'd show up for a couple of national events for noterity to get bookings. Note the Chi-town Hustler and Jungle Jim. Both legendary teams with minimal national event wins.

Here's another body up picture of it.

Also:

http://images14.fotki.com/v384/photos/4/43692/3985618/ShirleyMuldowneyMustang2-vi.jpg

post-416-0-60837400-1400694655.jpg

Edited by iBorg