Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius New trucks......KW, Peterbilt.....others? New trailer?

Given how horrible PACCAR and Cat are to deal with as far as licensing and so forth, is Mack REALLY that bad to deal with?

I, for one, would really like a B-series. One of the local constrction companies has a couple of those that they still even use in revenue service, and are beautifully maintained. They'd seriously be show trucks if it wasn't for the inside of the dump bed, and I think they paint them before taking them to shows.

A B-series tractor would be very nice. I'd like to see some 1940s-50s vintage trailers, too.

Charlie Larkin

charlie8575, on 11 Aug 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

I, for one, would really like a B-series. One of the local constrction companies has a couple of those that they still even use in revenue service, and are beautifully maintained. They'd seriously be show trucks if it wasn't for the inside of the dump bed, and I think they paint them before taking them to shows.

A B-series tractor would be very nice. I'd like to see some 1940s-50s vintage trailers, too.

Charlie Larkin

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck7mackb61convkit.html

ck7mackb61.jpg

Edited by chuckyr

I'd really like to see more 28 foot trailers available. Besides just being something different I've seen many comment on the lack of space to display a semi with a fullsize 48-53 foot trailer, so it would offer an option for those with less space than displaying the tractor alone. An interesting option would be to design the trailer to offer the option mounting it to the truck frame for a straight truck with or without a 28 foot trailer, or doing it as a tractor with doubles.

Ben G. You hit the nail on the head with Chuckyr and Thatswhatshesaid, they are the only two allowed to comment on anything here. My Husband who drove a truck for over 20 years in addition to owning trucks and had to give up driving because he became disabled in Iraq made a comment on another thread and they ate him alive. He threw out the box of models I bought him and said he didn't want to be on a site where a select few where allowed to speak. Seems to me the moderators would say something to these to know it all's. But that's my opinion.

Ben G. You hit the nail on the head with Chuckyr and Thatswhatshesaid, they are the only two allowed to comment on anything here. My Husband who drove a truck for over 20 years in addition to owning trucks and had to give up driving because he became disabled in Iraq made a comment on another thread and they ate him alive. He threw out the box of models I bought him and said he didn't want to be on a site where a select few where allowed to speak. Seems to me the moderators would say something to these to know it all's. But that's my opinion.

Let it go.

Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he gets back into truck building for the pleasure of building. I do a broad spectrum of hobbies/sports/activities (models, full contact karate/kickboxing/track days with my car) and I find all sorts of people everywhere. I hope he gets into a model truck and enjoys it. Cheers.

Also this is definitely one of the best forums. Where else do you get a major player like Moebius Models have a representative (Dave Metzner) come on line and let people know what's going on? It's pretty cool. Will be cool to see what else will come our way in the future.

Ben

Edited by Bennyg

As Ben said, sorry to hear about your husband and also thank him for his service and sacrifice for our country.

As for most of the rest of us here, many are more level headed and many are also drivers or former drivers just as your husband is, I myself have been driving for almost 17 years with well over 1,000,000 save miles during my career, and trucking is in my blood. My brother drove for 12 or 13 years before being killed in an accident in 1992, then 6 years later I followed in his footsteps and began the same career that claimed his life. In fact, I'm posting this from my phone comfy in my sleeper for the night.

Also, let your husband know if there are undesirables he would rather not have ruin his experiences and not miss some of the fine work that is posted here, there is an ignore feature he can use and ignore the posts of those he would rather not read. It works very well! :)

It's not being a know it all. It's called READING the thread and not making comments that are irrelevant. Edited by Thatswhatshesaid

To bring this thread back on topic, I was wondering if moebius was approached by navistar or moebius approached navistar to model their stuff? Also whether there has been talk (prelicencing) with other truck companies? I think that's more the question that people want answered now we know no licencing agreement existes with other companies.

Ben G.

Edited by Bennyg

My Husband... made a comment on another thread and they ate him alive. He threw out the box of models I bought him and said he didn't want to be on a site where a select few where allowed to speak. Seems to me the moderators would say something to these to know it all's. But that's my opinion.

The moderators can't possibly see every post. So why not act like grownups and do a little "self-policing" and stick to the topic being discussed and not veer off into personal attacks or comments about the moderators?

And BTW... I don't see where you get the idea that only a "select few" are allowed to speak. That's nonsense, plain and simple. Everyone who is a member of this site has the same right to speak. There are no "select few."

For people still asking for an accurate Pete 379... Tim Albohrn has a tutorial on how to transform an Italeri 378 into a short Hood 379, there are people P&P casting parts for a long nose 379, a 388 and a 389 and AITM has a 386 transkit for the Italeri 377, with all the accessories you can imagine to make them possible. Italeri makes the 377 and the 378, AMT Round2 the old 359 and also the 352, Revell, the 359 with a short sleeper as a "snap" kit, the 359 with a bigger sleeper cab and also that same 359 with a long frame and a rotator tow body and to top it off, the heavy duty Bill Signs 359.

I think we have enough old Peterbilts. Ok maybe a double bunk 362 would be nice... Lets have a resin cab conversion kit of that to install on a Revell or AMT 359 frame. So how about a kit of a 387 or 579 instead?

Or, can we have something a little different this time? A Mack, for instance, would be nice.

About copyrights... Tons of people abused copyrights for years by copying movies, downloading music for free, copying designs from other companies and making money off of those. The Chinese are notorious for this as they are still doing this openly. So a lot of companies such as Caterpillar and Freightliner and GM have decided to control this more tightly by deciding who is going to use their designs and they are charging a lot of money for this. So it can become difficult and expensive to try and get some new kit designs on the shelves nowadays.[/quot

Eric no longer has the rights to cast the Kenworth W900L stuff or the Peterbilt 379 stuff. Bill DRennen had him stop.

I don't see any of the costs associated with licensing I just know that none of the manufacturers will allow production of unlicensed kits.

I do see tooling costs and time involved in translating a pile of pictures into a box full of plastic parts. To Do a class 8 tractor that is not a current or new vehicle is an enormous amount of work. If the subject is a current vehicle and we can get CAD files from the manufacturer it gets somewhat simpler. LoneStar was still a huge project - even though we had CAD I still took two trips to Photograph trucks - With ProStar I ended up only spending one day with a camera a carpenters' ruler and a truck. simply because it has so much in common with LoneStar.

Tooling for an entirely new kit is a BIG chunk of money so we certainly want to feel that there is a good prospect of producing a big hit.

I'm sure that we'll do another truck in the next year or so but I would not expect it to be something that we can't get as a CAD file on a nice shiny digital disc.

I don't see any of the costs associated with licensing I just know that none of the manufacturers will allow production of unlicensed kits.

I do see tooling costs and time involved in translating a pile of pictures into a box full of plastic parts. To Do a class 8 tractor that is not a current or new vehicle is an enormous amount of work. If the subject is a current vehicle and we can get CAD files from the manufacturer it gets somewhat simpler. LoneStar was still a huge project - even though we had CAD I still took two trips to Photograph trucks - With ProStar I ended up only spending one day with a camera a carpenters' ruler and a truck. simply because it has so much in common with LoneStar.

Tooling for an entirely new kit is a BIG chunk of money so we certainly want to feel that there is a good prospect of producing a big hit.

I'm sure that we'll do another truck in the next year or so but I would not expect it to be something that we can't get as a CAD file on a nice shiny digital disc.

Thanks Dave, as always, for your imput and effort in the hobby. This information makes total sense. No matter what it is, it is great to hear another one may be coming down the line.

For people still asking for an accurate Pete 379... Tim Albohrn has a tutorial on how to transform an Italeri 378 into a short Hood 379, there are people P&P casting parts for a long nose 379, a 388 and a 389 and AITM has a 386 transkit for the Italeri 377, with all the accessories you can imagine to make them possible. Italeri makes the 377 and the 378, AMT Round2 the old 359 and also the 352, Revell, the 359 with a short sleeper as a "snap" kit, the 359 with a bigger sleeper cab and also that same 359 with a long frame and a rotator tow body and to top it off, the heavy duty Bill Signs 359.

I think we have enough old Peterbilts. Ok maybe a double bunk 362 would be nice... Lets have a resin cab conversion kit of that to install on a Revell or AMT 359 frame. So how about a kit of a 387 or 579 instead?

Or, can we have something a little different this time? A Mack, for instance, would be nice.

About copyrights... Tons of people abused copyrights for years by copying movies, downloading music for free, copying designs from other companies and making money off of those. The Chinese are notorious for this as they are still doing this openly. So a lot of companies such as Caterpillar and Freightliner and GM have decided to control this more tightly by deciding who is going to use their designs and they are charging a lot of money for this. So it can become difficult and expensive to try and get some new kit designs on the shelves nowadays.[/quot

Eric no longer has the rights to cast the Kenworth W900L stuff or the Peterbilt 379 stuff. Bill DRennen had him stop.

True about the Peterbilts. I've always wondered why Italeri decided to make a 378 instead of a 379 in the first place. Any Ideas?

...simply because it has so much in common with LoneStar. ...I'm sure that we'll do another truck in the next year or so but I would not expect it to be something that we can't get as a CAD file on a nice shiny digital disc.

2u47uwx.jpg

A Mack Pinnacle..... please please please!!!!!!!!!! I prefere the axle foward but the axle back is more common so I imagine if you were to make one it would be the axle back.

They don't have the license for anything other than the Internationals right now. That isn't a very common truck either. A new kit would need to appeal to a wide market.

Thanks Dave for informing us. It's greatly appreciated.

Ben