Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Many thanks to each and everyone of you for your kind sentiments.  I've been fighting a bit of burn out over the struts but today I finished the other one and I'm going to get them on the car this week if all goes well.  Pics forthcoming once they're hanging off the chassis once and for all.   Then lower control arms, steering rack and fuel tanks detailing.......

Joe, btw I discussed with my wife the possibility of adoption but with our two girls now, our hands are QUITE full so you missed the window of opportunity.  Oh well. 

Cheers everyone!

Thank you guys.  I machined the strut "cups" out of brass so I can solder them to the chassis rails. They are 3mm in length and have a .5mm thick wall in the body to stop the strut from passing all the way through.  This way the strut can turn inside the cup itself as it will be secured by the nut you see on the top. I'll do something similar for the bottom control arms/brackets.  Bending and soldering rails next.  cheers

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension 025

here you can see them mounted in the bracket with the proper camber and caster factored in.  THANKS DAVE for the info too! 

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension 030

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension 056

Tim, the only diff between your shop and a chassis shop is, one you do on the floor, the other on a table top.

Everyone knows the adage that all Ginger Rogers had to do was everything that Fred Astaire did, only backwards, wearing heels. Same thing. You doing the same thing a shop does, only smaller and with fewer tools.

Now I've gone and done it. If I don't go say something funny on Dave's build, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

Well, took me long enough I know, but the struts are on the chassis.  I'll do the lower control arms and steering rack next.  I adopted several of Dave's (comp1839) construction techniques when it came to putting them on the chassis. His use of brackets to properly place the strut in position while soldering and the notches in the rails for the strut "cups"....(I notched them using a ball end mill set at the proper angles).  Getting the 2 rails to match perfectly was time consuming but worthwhile.  I've not acknowledged you individually but I do want to thank each and everyone of you that has shown interest and bothered to comment.  Cheers to each of you, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension Framed 006

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension Framed 027

Henry J Twin Turbo Front Suspension Framed 077

Thank you. 

Scott, there are 4 simple bars to add yet,  2 per side that will mirror each other.  One from the drivers hoop starting near the bottom door hinge and ending near the strut and then a vertical bar that will double as the front motor plate bracket/support.  Those will be pretty straightforward  compared to getting these 2 rascals on.  cheers, tim

Tim, the only diff between your shop and a chassis shop is, one you do on the floor, the other on a table top.

Everyone knows the adage that all Ginger Rogers had to do was everything that Fred Astaire did, only backwards, wearing heels. Same thing. You doing the same thing a shop does, only smaller and with fewer tools.

Now I've gone and done it. If I don't go say something funny on Dave's build, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

In case you missed it, I know you're 100% focused on your work, I made the same exact comment on Dave's build.  I just swapped the names.