Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

There are many things that a good modeler does well. One of those is multi-tasking, being able to step back and re-assess a situation, then make a solid decision on how to resolve it. Okay, that's really three things along with feeling good about those decisions. Fine, four things. I think I made my point about multi-tasking.

Now I need to do the dishes, clean the pool and whip out the weed whacker before I get back on my springs while I watch the US Nationals qualifying before the NASCAR race today.

Next time we talk, you can teach me how to multi-task.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your  posts and positive comments.  No pics yet but soon.  I've been spending the last couple weeks gathering research, sourcing new raw materials, like carbon tube for the front disc brakes and buying a couple of new tools to try out.  (one is a Sherline lathe that I've been wanting for some time now with some interesting tooling options) This week I finalized the seat and it will be ready for CF decals soon (I now understand why Dave and Clay spent so much time on theirs) and making bracing to secure it, which I hope to get started installing today.  Then it's onto the master cylinder / hand brake and pedal system.  Hanging the doors will follow the completion of these sub-assemblies.  And on and on.  Cheers to each and everyone of you!   Tim

EPIC!!!!! in every way shape or form.... It's gonna be a shame to put a body on this bad boy ....

I'm with Tyrone on this. You need to use the body as a master for a clear vacuformed body. 

Just kidding my friend. You've got more than enough on your plate! 

Now if I can just get back to my plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys...progress has been s-l-o-w if I were to base it upon these pics tonight.  I am addressing smaller clean-up "items" on the punch-list and moving closer to getting onto the master cylinder, hand brake, line-loc, pro-valve and pedal assembly.  Hey Chris, my lathe arrived today.  Haven't taken the time to un-box it yet but I'll get to it this week and let you know what I think of the Sherline.  I did the seat in C-fiber twill on the seat surface and  cf-kevlar on the back side.  I have to touch-up the seat belt holes and a week from now, clear coat it. Too many hours to make the templates and trim / apply these buggers.  I "strongly dislike" doing decals such as these but it's another check off the list.  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo C-F & Kevlar Seat 011

Henry J Twin Turbo C-F & Kevlar Seat 007

Henry J Twin Turbo C-F & Kevlar Seat 013

Henry J Twin Turbo C-F & Kevlar Seat 033

Tim... Oh my Goodness.... I just wet myself. That seat looks killer. I love how you did the carbon fiber and how the pattern changes from the seated portion to the sides. You can see how the grain switches directions from the separate pieces.  Man this is so sweet!! Keep up the great work!!

I can't wait to hear about your new Sherline Lathe and would love to see it set up.... ;)

Edited by Mooneyzs

Wow wow wow. This build is just insane. I have been away from the site for while now and I won't make that mistake again after seeing this build. I have just spent the last couple of hours going through your thread and I am just amazed with your skills. You are truly an artist and very talented one at that. I will be following along closely from now on.

There is one fine looking front row seat. The choice for the back is the perfect contrast.

Speaking of contrast, my choice for throw pillows would be lavender with little frilly daisy embroidery. Green fringe tassels at the top and front. Leave clearance for the seat belts.

Why do I always have to do all of the original thinking on this build. Huh? Wassup wid dat?

il_570xN.819558918_ls6v.jpg

Thanks Chris and I'll be sure to post a pic or two once I get it together.  Sometime next week I believe. 

Bob, always glad to see a new follower of the build and hope you enjoy the rest of it. 

John,  uh-oh........not sure what to make of that comment......the fun is just beginning?  Yikes.  I am looking forward to the rest of it though as I have some ideas and visions for certain parts of it and I'm anxious to see if I can pull it off.  

Joe, Joe, Joe........what more can be said.  :)

Cheers, Tim

Thanks Chris and I'll be sure to post a pic or two once I get it together.  Sometime next week I believe. 

Bob, always glad to see a new follower of the build and hope you enjoy the rest of it. 

John,  uh-oh........not sure what to make of that comment......the fun is just beginning?  Yikes.  I am looking forward to the rest of it though as I have some ideas and visions for certain parts of it and I'm anxious to see if I can pull it off.  

Joe, Joe, Joe........what more can be said.  :)

Cheers, Tim

Codi......Sorry Buddy ,I meant to say -.........your mock-up of this  build is like already building it......now you get to take it apart and make it even more beautiful ......by painting or chromieing or decaling etc...........like you just did with the seat........thats my favorite part of building.:)........I know thiis is going to be sooo cool when your finished

Edited by John Teresi

Hi Tim.

I only recently joined this forum and started looking at the different builds to get some  inspiration for my own building.

And then I stumbled onto this thread by accident and spent the last few hours reading each and every post, then spent a further hour reviewing all the photos again.

I cannot believe the  level of detail that you have built into this model. I thought the original motor was impressive, but then you go change the intake and take it to another level.

Your frame is an absolute work of art. The solder joints, the brackets! Beautiful! 

I have bookmarked this  thread and will definitely be following from now on.

YOU SIR ARE A TRUE ARTISAN. 

Thanks for the VERY positive comments everyone.  Today I was in the mood to "do" tedious.  So I took that nice set of Delta 1 wheels from Jim @ micro nitro and decided to make the bead-locks more realistic by giving them a 3-D aspect.  I found some perfectly sized bolts that visually replicate a true bead-lock bolt.  The tricky part of course was center drilling and then using a #77 bit to drill out the faux beads on the rims.  Then I took a few pic with the bolts just resting in place and a tire valve.  3 hours hovering over my drill but they turned out pretty well and I think when I get the tires decaled and all assembled, they'll look pretty slick (NO Joe, no pun intended) Cheers, Tim

In this pic you'll see the wheel on the right is drilled out and the one on the left has the bolts installed. Said bolts are in the foreground. Penny for perspective. 

Henry J Twin Turbo Beadlocks 017

I really like this shot as you can truly see the detail they provide.

Henry J Twin Turbo Beadlocks 023

This Henry J Twin Turbo Beadlocks 022last pic I included the front wheels which I drilled out in anticipation of the spindles I'm going to use in the front.  Have to add tire valves yet.