Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Western Star 5700 XE just unveiled - would this make a cool truck kit or what?

So for those of you who are new here and have no idea who i may be, a quick rundown...I spent 9 years working at the Western Star plant while it was located on the west coast in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. Worked on the line for 6 years, in the warehouse for 3 and was there when the last Star was built...I have a thread on here called "Life on the Line". This thread includes stories and pictures of my time there including the last build up of "Angie".

About a week ago, I was sitting on the computer with the radio playing in the background on a quiet Sunday, they had this show on called Trucker Radio...never heard of it or even knew it existed. The d.j was taking to his guest about the new 5700 and the role it played in the latest Transformer 4 movie as Optimus Prime.

So the guest gets talking about how they (Freightliner) purchased Western Star in 2000 and then moved it to Portland, the way he was talking, it sounded like they shut it down in Canada and moved it right away. This is wrong due to the fact that I was still there in September of 2002 and we were still building trucks!!! LOL....so I think this guy was new and really did not know all of the history!!! But the one part of the interview that ticked me off was when he talked about after the purchase and move, nothing was really done with WST, they basically just let it slowly carry on without any push to expand or build up the brand. This went on until 2009-10, at this time the guy says that they loosened the reigns and let WST do more to expand the growth and company, since then, the 4700 and now the 5700 were brought out to the market. I have seen both pictures and in real life the 4700.... not a fan of the headlight/hood design....UGLY....IMHO!!! Now if we wanna talk about the 5700...."Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!" , that is a beauty!!!

Back to my topic....so when WST got purchased, everyone knew that the only reason this happened, a certain bigger company did not like the fact that their truck was rated lower and did not have the reputation as we did. So like any big business...if ya can't beat em....buy em!!!! Proving this is the way that the WS brand just under utilized until they could decide what they wanted to do with it (rumors of the whole plant going to Mexico were heard). A real kick in the teeth for a lot of people who worked there through the years. Take a look at the WST website....you would think that a company that had been around and had the reputation that it did for 35 YEARS would...no SHOULD be proud of the history and use that to promote the brand!!! Nope....hardly a whisper....maybe one line? one sentence about the plant in Kelowna? Swept under the rug like it did not even exist....pretty sad!!

So there is a little bit of Sunday trivia for ya......rant over!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

The name western star isnt the same as it once was. Being owned by Freightliner/Daimler really shows. Around here the Western Star is only chosing by loggers, as they readily have the Cummins ISX available pre emissions with Glider Kits. The interiors are cheap, short cuts taking everywhere. Hopefully they do a Good Job on it.

Sorry guys.....no matter what picture you put up there, still not gonna like it! LOL. Looking at the pics above, I see a lot of Mack in the design of the fender, not sure which model or series, but when I look at it....it screams out Mack. And it is definatly the single headlight which I believe is similar to or the same as the one available on the Freightliner which I don't like. Too many years staring at dual headlights I guess!!

And yes....beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

Edited by dieseldog1970