Model Cars Magazine Forum

All new Western Star 5700 XE just unveiled - would this make a cool truck kit or what?

It's a lot worse. Pete cab, Pete hood, Pete chassis, Pete tanks and battery boxes...

Sounds pretty much like an Italeri American truck to me. ;)

Well, Italeri does the cab, hood and related parts pretty much right so they are a little better...but the rest of the truck kit is often wrong. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

Well, Italeri does the cab, hood and related parts pretty much right so they are a little better...but the rest of the truck kit is often wrong. :rolleyes:

The Italeri Peterbilt and Freightliner kits are some of the most accurate truck kits.

The Italeri Volvo VN kits, minus the drive train is spot on.

goodgrief-703274.gif

There are some model builders that claim they won't build the Italeri Ford and Western Star truck kits because the frame is not accurate.

Nitpicking and excuses to me.

Same here. I for one see it this way,that's their choice, but how much of a rivet counter do you have to be to complain about two rails of steel that are mostly hidden anyway! That, in my book, is like saying you wouldn't buy AMT truck kits because the lugnuts are a half a millimeter too small!

Same here. I for one see it this way,that's their choice, but how much of a rivet counter do you have to be to complain about two rails of steel that are mostly hidden anyway! That, in my book, is like saying you wouldn't buy AMT truck kits because the lugnuts are a half a millimeter too small!

Go read the car forums. A millimeter mistake on a kit is disaster!! Look at it this way. At least they made a few kits. Frames are pretty easy to scratchbuild if it really bothered someone that much.

I've seen a few "mackifications" of the Italeri chassis. Usually just mack crossmembers added, but I've also seem the chassis altered to look like an r series chassis by trimming the front area down to look like amt r series rails. Looks very convincing. The superliner kits look good with australian gear put on them such a s aircleaners. Hides the inaccurate dimensions of the cab pretty well.

Ben

I'm not a rivet counter by all means and the world doesn't go under for a millimeter here and there as long as it can be fixed.
But I think a kit of whatever it is should at least have fairly correct stuff in it, an engine wich is at least close to the thing that's supposed to be in there, same with the suspension, axles and much of the frame.

I don't like to buy a truck kit that's supposed to be for example a Volvo F16 or FH16 and find the same outdated TD120C engine, drive train and frame as all their Volvo F12 has had since the very beginning, that's not even close to what these trucks should have wich is a TD162 engine for the F16 and D16 engine for the FH16, both looks a lot different than the TD120...so everything is wrong except the frame and cab.
Same with the Scania 164 and R 500, they have the same old DS14 engine as the 142 and 143 kits (the 143 should even have had an Intercooled DSC14 but didn't), that's also wrong as Scania did totally new engine platforms after the 143 series and the DC16 wich it should have been looks a lot different than the DS14...so just because it's a Scania engine doesn't mean it's right.
The Italeri Volvo F6 kit shares everything with the Renault, Iveco-Magirus and DAF kits and has an air cooled Deutz V6 engine...the cab is shared between them so that's correct, but Volvo has never had any air cooled engines and the F6 should have a Volvo TD60.

Some of the American trucks has older style Cummins NTC engines that Italeri only did a few new parts for and want's us to believe it's a N14...not so correct there either as a NTC and N14 looks a bit different, and some are on the wrong chassis so the suspension is wrong and so on..

Same goes for the RoG Marmon, it's so wrong that I wouldn't give a dime for it,...kits like that is not what I want to put my money into.

What everyone else does is up to them. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

I'm not a rivet counter by all means and the world doesn't go under for a millimeter here and there as long as it can be fixed.

But I think a kit of whatever it is should at least have fairly correct stuff in it, an engine wich is at least close to the thing that's supposed to be in there, same with the suspension, axles and much of the frame.

I don't like to buy a truck kit that's supposed to be for example a Volvo F16 or FH16 and find the same outdated TD120C engine, drive train and frame as all their Volvo F12 has had since the very beginning, that's not even close to what these trucks should have wich is a TD162 engine for the F16 and D16 engine for the FH16, both looks a lot different than the TD120...so everything is wrong except the frame and cab.

Same with the Scania 164 and R 500, they have the same old DS14 engine as the 142 and 143 kits (the 143 should even have had an Intercooled DSC14 but didn't), that's also wrong as Scania did totally new engine platforms after the 143 series and the DC16 wich it should have been looks a lot different than the DS14...so just because it's a Scania engine doesn't mean it's right.

The Italeri Volvo F6 kit shares everything with the Renault, Iveco-Magirus and DAF kits and has an air cooled Deutz V6 engine...the cab is shared between them so that's correct, but Volvo has never had any air cooled engines and the F6 should have a Volvo TD60.

Some of the American trucks has older style Cummins NTC engines that Italeri only did a few new parts for and want's us to believe it's a N14...not so correct there either as a NTC and N14 looks a bit different, and some are on the wrong chassis so the suspension is wrong and so on..

Same goes for the RoG Marmon, it's so wrong that I wouldn't give a dime for it,...kits like that is not what I want to put my money into.

What everyone else does is up to them. :rolleyes:

I'd say, write to Italeri, to let them know your grieves, but in a polite way, maybe just maybe, there's money in parts packs engines, dunno just thinking out loud...

;^)

Anyway here's a link to a page on their website, with a email addy for suggestions:

http://italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=473

Edited by Luc Janssens

I'd say, write to Italeri, to let them know your grieves, but in a polite way, maybe just maybe, there's money in parts packs engines, dunno just thinking out loud...

;^)

Anyway here's a link to a page on their website, with a email addy for suggestions:

Better yet, this month they are asking directly your opinions and requests.

Please, send an e-mail at idea@italeri.com answering the following questions:

1- Which 100% new scale model kit you would like to have in the next 2015 Italeri Catalogue.

2- Which are the scale model kits in our current line up you would like to improve (i.e. moulds improvement, details, new decals,…)

3- Which are the Italeri model kits of the past, not more available for years, that you would like to see once again in our “Back Again” series.

We will publish some highlights of our survey to share with you the results.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Italeri staff.

;^)

Better yet, this month they are asking directly your requests and opinions.

Please, send an e-mail at idea@italeri.com answering the following questions:

1- Which 100% new scale model kit you would like to have in the next 2015 Italeri Catalogue.

2- Which are the scale model kits in our current line up you would like to improve (i.e. moulds improvement, details, new decals,…)

3- Which are the Italeri model kits of the past, not more available for years, that you would like to see once again in our “Back Again” series.

We will publish some highlights of our survey to share with you the results.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Italeri staff.

Go read the car forums. A millimeter mistake on a kit is disaster!! Look at it this way. At least they made a few kits. Frames are pretty easy to scratchbuild if it really bothered someone that much.

Exactly!! I also see the frame issue (or non issue in my case) like this: after you put everything on it like the cab, sleeper, tanks, steps and other related parts, how much of it do you really see?? Especially if you have a trailer on it, you might see a few feet of it between the back of the sleeper and nose of the trailer, and to me,that area looks the same no matter what the truck!

Exactly!! I also see the frame issue (or non issue in my case) like this: after you put everything on it like the cab, sleeper, tanks, steps and other related parts, how much of it do you really see?? Especially if you have a trailer on it, you might see a few feet of it between the back of the sleeper and nose of the trailer, and to me,that area looks the same no matter what the truck!

Yep. It's pretty much hidden, besides, when was the last time you saw a truck and were instantly drawn to the frame? It's like having a house and staring at the trusses in the attic.

This thread has become more about Italeri and their model kits than about this truck and possible kits of it...who does it if it would come to that is not important to me as long as it's a good model.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I just stated mine in this matter...or tried to...the thing I wanted to say is that if a model company...wichever company that may be...was thinking about doing a kit of this truck I hope they could at least try to do it right while

they're at it...if not I'm not interested.

Edited by Force

Don't forget the Marmon hood and decals. :lol:

I wonder if they got the idea for that kit after seeing those Rolls-Royce and '40 Ford front end "conversions" from JC Whitney for VW Beetles.

Oh man, I haven't seen one of those in about 20 years!

Don't forget the Marmon hood and decals. :lol:

I wonder if they got the idea for that kit after seeing those Rolls-Royce and '40 Ford front end "conversions" from JC Whitney for VW Beetles.

haha tommy chong was so poor he couldnt even afford one of those in the beginning of up in smoke its a rolls royce grill tied to the front of his bug