Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A Rebuild-Under Glass 03-13

mustang1989

I was searching around in my stash totes last night because I just knew I bought something that would help out with what I'm dong here. Yup , I found it!

PolishingKit_zps70f4f836.jpg

My next trip to Hobby Lobby, and I'll be lookingfor this one! That looks AWESOME hows it work for wet sanding? Have ya tried it yet?

MADE that body on that Challenger look GREAT!

Another question, the orange you mentioned that you've seen on Chevy engines, WHAT shade of orange did you go withthe overcoat the black? Just wondering due to my "Mopar" building nature.......I use A LOT of "Testors" brand enamels, and with that they have a few different shades of Orange....

Myself?

"28107 Hemi Orange" in the 3 ounce spray can goes on ALL Hemi engines, UNLESS I'm painting the engine to match the car its to go into....

I also use the Hemi Orange for the applications Mopar used it on OTHER-then Hemi engines, in a few different cases!

They also used what they called Mopar High Performace Orange, and a good match to that, is "1113 Sunburst" Orange also from Testors.

WHEN I had built Chevy models, or GM models for that matter, and the engines were to be orange, I used the Testors regular brand "1127 Orange", which is a much lighter orange almost a "Hugger Orange" shade....

The different shades of orange on the engine will look GREAT for a weathering technique!

Joseph:Thanks buddy. I'm looking around for my spare "Six Pack" Decal. Hopefully I find it.

Randy:I usually use the same technique on all my aircraft engines and cockpits. So far the method hasn't failed me yet.

John:I ended up using MM acrylic Insternationa Orange. If I apply another coat or two in the right places it'll be a little brighter. I ran out of time this morning and looks like I'm gonna get my shot at repainting it due to the additional work I'm going to have to be doing on the seams. lol

I love hearing stores like this,I wish i had some of my builds from"back in the day".Your doing a great job Joe!

Thanks Stan. I'm getting ready to go back to my home town for Christmas and my parents still have some of my finished builds still in the cases I left them in on my makeshift display case 26 years after I left home. I'm probably gonna grab the rest of em on this trip.

Well I still have a little more work to do here but the engine color is coming close to an acceptable color range for me. Maybe a few more AB strokes of the same color after I take care of some more plastic touch up.

Enginepaintalmostthere_zps0babeb05.jpg

I did manage to get alot closer look at the body today. I haven't touched it since I sprayed that clear coat on Friday morning. I have a big spot of what looks like a dirt speck in the middle of the L/H door and a run on the R/H rear quarter panel. Looks like the sanding blues aren't over there yet. What are the suggestions at this point in the game so I don't ruin the whole thing?? This is my weak spot right here.

This is where I'm at right now. Will get pics of the problem areas soon:

Carbodyfinish004_zps6f455eb0.jpg

Carbodyfinish002_zpscee04a5f.jpg

Carbodyfinish001_zps988ba5af.jpg

A little more work on the engine today. Got a little unforeseen flash on the intake manifold to clean up but other than that the top side is getting there. I have a spare 1970 Challenger 2 in 1 kit in the stash that I ended up robbing some parts from. The original build had no power steering and no brackets on the alternator. I figured if a person in 1970 was gonna shell out money for a T/A, they outta at least have power steering for gods sake!

Got the parts cut out and will be cleaning up. Still have to do a little more work on the bottom side before I call that done and have a couple of shades left on the rocker covers here but I got 'em started anyhow.

Enginepaintsubassemblies001_zpsa10d008f.

Enginepaintsubassemblies002_zpsdf39d118.

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

While I was waiting on the wires I decided to skip over to the instrument panel for a sec to make some quick mods there. ( I know I keep skipping around... I'll make it back to the engine and body at some point here!).

This is what I started with:(which wasn't bad for 14 years old)

Instrumentpanel004_zps06825058.jpg

And here's what I want to use for gauges:

Instrumentpanel003_zps10b854e1.jpg

So let's get started:

Instrumentpanel002_zps47835ed6.jpg

more on the way...............

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Tim! Well here the IP is . Still need a little clean up in the back to accomplish what I want out of all this but we're close:

Instrumentpanel001_zps65d2e6b2.jpg

It's not going to look physically like the reference photo(good ol Monogram) but I'll do the best I can with colors and techniques. First off I'm gonna have to bust out the wood grain:

Instrumentcluster_zpsc24eef95.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Your reference pic is for the optional rally dash, monogram used the standard dash

Ah ha!! I guess I'd better get some reference pics and retract my statement about Monogram (at least on cars anyway---build a Monogram warbird and you'll see what do do some suckin'!!). Thanks for the heads up Kevin!

Thanks to you too Dennis!

Edited a little later:

Pics of what you're referring to Kevin. Looks like I may be off the hook for the wood grain here although I believe I saw it as an option somewhere for the non rally dash.........emotion-8.gif

At least I'm going to be able to get the gauges in the right place.

Baseinterior_zps57e56cdf.jpg

Basecluster_zps22f76b61.jpg

Edited by mustang1989