Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Camaro SS396 "day two" WIP. Mar 24 update

freakshow12

Hey guys. I will change the title a bit tmo once the car arrives. I have this build in my head even though I have a vette, duster and the torino engine on my bench. I will have this new one in my hands tmo but I was wondering if you guys ever build around parts you just have and didn't know what to do with? I found this wheel and tire setup hiding in my stash. They are big/little torq thrusts in white metal/aluminum. I added the redlines today. What could these be going on? Guesses?

535E973A-C3E8-49C5-B41C-24995FDBDF6D_zps

7C77D397-A03E-4C84-AE1D-7A723AC305F6_zps

Edited by freakshow12

I have a mess of parts that I think are cool and hope to use on a build someday. I keep them on an open shelf above my model bench so I don't forget about them and try to work them into builds someday.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

For instance, I painted these seats to go into my '34 Ford sedan... in the end I didn't use them so they sat on that shelf, but not for long...

DSC00321-vi.jpg

When they wound up in this 29 Ford! The wheel / tire combo on this one were also on the shelf, came off an old diecast and again I needed to use them on a build, so I did.

IMG_3085-vi.jpg

A few more of those parts... tail lights on this one were old large truck overhead lights. Had to use them on something. And the rear tire / wheels are from the 28 Lincoln kit.... the other two are currently on that shelf waiting for a project!

I keep parts/bodies to cut up and add to builds all the time. Currently I am working on a C4 Corvette build/kitbash into a Callaway LM.

The C4 body I am using parts of has been sitting in my parts bin for over 15 years.....saw it the other day and decided "Come hell or high water I am using this body for something!" :)

I love the idea of doing a build around leftover and unused and otherwise unloved parts. I have a couple such project ideas in mind myself.

One is, I have an oddball original AMT '68 Corvette body (and interior, but NOTHING else) and am trying to plan some sort of project around that.

What I have in mind is a "day two" type car. I will be using these wheels/ tires and some engine stuff from the amt Baldwin motion car. Any ideas yet?

my 2 cents: i saw those wheels you showed and an image of a low slung 1972 'top banana yellow' Plymouth roadrunner popped in my head. what does this mean??

roadrunner.jpg

image upload no limit

Edited by drive4th

A day two car is a fairly new term restorers use when they do a car that has a few period correct speed parts on it but is otherwise fairly stock. They call it day two because you bought it on day one, then on day two you added some things like let's say some big tires, cragars or torq thrusts. Maybe headers and a sun tach. See where I'm going with this? Some shows have classes for these now even

I like this thread, too!

I'm awaiting the arrival of some misc parts to start such a build.

I have a Model King issue of the Allison Thunderbird which I bought for the chassis parts. What to do with the leftover T-Bird body?

Well, the T-Bird body in that kit looks fairly stock to me. Chromed stock bumpers are included, door handles and other details are molded into the body, so I think it'll all work to replicate a stock Bird.

I stumbled across an evilBay auction where the guy was selling individual parts from an original AMT '67 T-Bird kit, and I scored the chassis and interior parts at a decent price. The plan is to use that stuff to build a "stock" '67 T-Bird. The engine, wheels, and tires will come from my parts box.