Model Cars Magazine Forum

Memories

While working on my diorama I found this sticker behind one of the styrene sheets. I haven't been in Hobby Land in probably 40 years and it is likely closed up for 25 years. This brought me back to the countless pleasurable hours spent in there . Every time I went to Ottawa, that is where I headed first. I haven't been in a shop like that since. It was run by hobbyists and you could tell by the organized clutter.

IMG_1343.jpg

I just went through all my paint and organized it. I've had some of this stuff for years & years. Found a couple of bottles that had Belmont Dept. Store price stickers on them. Does that chain even exist anymore? Not around here anyway. Some had stickers from a LHS that's been closed for over 30 years. And I remember getting kits and supplies at the local Murphy's Mart. Remember those?

the smell of Testor's cement in the orange tube and their enamel paint....... reminds me of sitting at the coffee table after Christmas with Mom and Dad, no cell phones, no cable TV, no video games, using up the rest of the Christmas break submerged in models and family.

Sometimes the smallest thing can trigger the biggest, best memories.

Years ago as I was cleaning out my father's house after he died, I came across a still-sealed, still liquid bottle of Testors yellow model airplane dope, at least 40 years old at the time. I cracked it open, and yes, there was a rush of memories I had no idea were still lurking in my mind.

the smell of Testor's cement in the orange tube and their enamel paint....... reminds me of sitting at the coffee table after Christmas with Mom and Dad, no cell phones, no cable TV, no video games, using up the rest of the Christmas break submerged in models and family.

X2

Me, too. Usually, got a "big" model for Christmas, like the Saturn V rocket, or the "Mad Maverick", and my Dad would get something like the Revell USS Constitution... Even my Mom built, on occasion- she once built a '57 Ford Country Squire, and the smell of drying Testors paint brings me right back to that time. Good memories :) .

Years ago as I was cleaning out my father's house after he died, I came across a still-sealed, still liquid bottle of Testors yellow model airplane dope, at least 40 years old at the time. I cracked it open, and yes, there was a rush of memories I had no idea were still lurking in my mind.

As I was going thru my Dad's stuff in '07, I came across two bottles of Pactra paint that were bought at the local Woolworths who knows how many years ago. I think they have never been opened, and the paint is still liquid. One day soon, I will open them, and fully expect some pleasant flashbacks to younger days and innocent times...

As I was going thru my Dad's stuff in '07, I came across two bottles of Pactra paint that were bought at the local Woolworths who knows how many years ago. I think they have never been opened, and the paint is still liquid. One day soon, I will open them, and fully expect some pleasant flashbacks to younger days and innocent times...

Man does that ring a bell John....I have what is left of my dads old collection I have been trying to restore once the needed parts can be found for them....I can still see him working on some of them from back in the days of my childhood...priceless memories.

Man does that ring a bell John....I have what is left of my dads old collection I have been trying to restore once the needed parts can be found for them....I can still see him working on some of them from back in the days of my childhood...priceless memories.

You are lucky. My father never had an interest in models. He did own one model car, a Studebaker Avanti kit he bought but never built. The one time we worked together was building my 1967 Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car. He decided it would be cool to have an Avanti and we carved the body (and filled in the seat area with wood) to look like one. I loved the Pinewood Derby track and thought it would be cool to have that for my Matchbox cars. The very next year Hot Wheels came out and I was in Heaven!

Are any of those old paints still liquid after all these years? My best memory is of the way AMT always used to have the suffix "225" on the kit numbers on the box in the mid-70's - this was for their suggested $2.25 retail price! Whenever I see an AMT kit of that vintage on eBay, I chuckle about how they have the old, original MSRP actually printed on the box!

I've got a paper sack full of Revell "cement for styrene plastic", the tubes with the blue label and yellow and orange stripes that you have to open with a straight pin. I bought them at a Walmart in Denton, TX, in 1978, for .12 each on sale. I can still squeeze most of them, so I guess those are still good. Also, one of my favorite hobby shops/toy stores used to be a place in east LA county called Terry's Toys. I think it was in Covina or West Covina, just off the San Bernardino, but who knows now? Anyway, Terry had a good selection of models back in the early '70s, all of them open but all complete. He'd write the price on the end of the box with a black crayon, and then take 50% off at the register. I got some good deals there, and amazingly still have some of them. A while back I was digging through my bunker stash and found a model with Terry's "3.98" on it--talk about a flashback...