Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 chevy Mild Kustom

Zed

Another great one, Zed! Were you inspired by that real '58 Chevy, painted kind of like yours, but it's wilder.... The owner never drives it. I have Pat Ganahl's Hot Rod video, where he shows the car. That car is a show car, with LOTS of chrome!

A lot of people on different boards have asked about that car ! i don't know if it's the same you're talking about , i think the name is Miller or something like that ... i wasn't inspired by that car because i didn't knew it when starting my project ! :lol: I was inspired by a rear view of Andy Southard car in his book , just the top of the rear fender ! That part was really nicely done, but i don't dig the rest... even if the car look great ! I wanted the same kind of panel on the top of the rear fenders on mine , and did the rest of the car to go with them :D

I absolutely love it!is it all done by masking ? I'm curious because I cant figure out how to add the pinstripe between the two main colors.

i did it first ;)

this is how i did it

first i spray the color that will be the outlining

58mk080-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

then i put some thin masking tape ( 1 mm ) to draw the panel

58mk086-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

58mk089-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

then i spay the dark blue in the panels

58mk091-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

58mk092-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

then masking tape on the panel

58mk097-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

and i spray the body (last) color .

58mk101-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

58mk102-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

hope it helps ;)

Between this car and you Ford, I am definitely inspired to attempt this style of paint job. I have to think many others are as well. So not only congrats on a beautiful paint job, but also thanks for providing such great examples and setting the bar.

I'm sure I have a car in my stash suitable for this style. Now if I only had the guts !