Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 GMC Van 8/9/17 Fixed for Fotki

Here's a pic of the frame in the weathering process just to keep the update legal. I intended some salt weathering but the Krylon black I used over it was too heavy as it would not cover areas between the salt. I scraped it some but all those bumps are salt buried in the paint. Since this will be heavy rust, it will look ok when everything else is added. So far just some roof brown dry brushed dabbled on.

Thats the thing I love about weathering a model. If it screws up a little, you can always make it look like you did it on purpose. Heck, it might even look better than your original idea! To junkers!

Very cool solution to the problem, Mike, and it looks good, too.

I went through trying to find some kind of guide to pin sizing, as it's something I've never given thought to, but your statements piqued my curiosity. If I find anything, I'll pass it along.

Charlie Larkin

Maybe you'll have better luck than I. I do find it strange there's nothing describing the ways of pin sizing.

I'll get you darning socks yet Charlie! :)

Thats the thing I love about weathering a model. If it screws up a little, you can always make it look like you did it on purpose. Heck, it might even look better than your original idea! To junkers!

Absolutely! My favorite thing about weathering is I can do all those things I learned NOT to do when painting a car! :)

Isn't there a guide for drill bit size? Couldn't that work?

Drill bits are numbered pretty arbitrary and follow no standard wire gauge. They were numbered mostly to define the smaller sizes, the ones we all use in modeling. Using the numbers gave a usable change in size for these small sizes. A quote from Wiki: "The gauge-to-diameter conversion does not follow a set formula, but rather was defined as a useful and practical measure."

Edited by Foxer

Today was antenna day. I started with an antenna from the A-Team van that had the same base as the van I'm building. It got a copper wire pin for the base and the slightly large #80 drill hole to receive the insect pin antenna (the insect pin is .009" diameter!). It was a mistake to glue the wire on the base as it had to be shaped to fit the curve of the fender.

antenna1 DSC 8027

I made a new base from aluminum tube. I fit a smaller tube with pin into body the receive the tube for fitting purposes. I would have used this small tube but would have had to drill the #80 hole into the pin I had into the body and plugging the hole in the small tube. Instead I just used a plastic tube I could easily drill and will also use this as the body pin. It's not as strong as a metal pin but the insect pin antenna is so thin it flexes!

antenna2 DSC 8028

I'll polish it a little more, put some silver base coat on and see how Kosutte Gin San works on this small a piece to chrome it.

Edited by Foxer

Hinges are looking Great

Antenna is even looking good.

I gotta find those Insect Pins, other pins or wires are so stiff you could easily poke yourself

or somebody else could get poked.

But I feel bad about this build.

All this work and your gonna Weather beat it. Ugh.. :)

But I feel bad about this build.

All this work and your gonna Weather beat it. Ugh.. :P

In reality, if this was a clean one I'd be done .. just some clear and polishing. With the weathering, the exterior will probably take another month of a dab here, a dab there. I'm weathering it in layers.. MANY layers ... until it looks right.

Actually, I've been dying to see what paint goes on your Dajiban Van!

And, thanks for the comments. :lol:

I haven't been slacking but doing a lot of slow weathering and working on small detail parts.

The big thing is arrival of tires from Ma's Resin! I have more of a choice to make than I thought. I got two sizes that seemed close and either would probably pass. I have a mock up with both that I did with the scanner. Don't pay attention to the tire at the roof as that was what the body was leaning on to keep straight. :lol: The bottom set does have a slightly larger ID/rim size and the 16.5" rims I expect to use might not fit. The rims in the photo are just from the A-Team van kit.

I'll be glad to hear any comments as to which tires I should use.. top or bottom. I think many of you have a better eye for these things than I do. :D

I'll pop a side view of the 1:1 here again too

gmc van small tires02

GMC van wheels01

Edited by Foxer

crowe-t Icon

Posted Today, 04:19 PM

Mike,

The tires in the bottom picture look more like in the 1:1 picture. The top picture's tires look a bit larger. However either look OK.

I agree the bottom ones look a lot more like the 1:1. I love this van. Doing one of my own and you gave me some real good ideas for opening the doors. Might have to plagiarize your idea :lol::D Keep up the good work.

STewart

Did you have a set of 8lug wheels coming from somewhere?

BYW: there seems to be a Lil scratch on the driver side :lol:

I'm hoping Ryan Silva will have the 8 lug wheels done. He posted some photos back on page 7 in this thread. They are exactly the wheels on the 1:1. I thought of making some but after seeing Ryan's the van may be on blocks for a little bit.

and, black primer will take care of that scratch :D

Edited by Foxer

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like it's all for the bottom smaller tire. They are different sizes so I'm not gonna use one of each, at least not considering it now. I do agree that the sidewalls and front/rear tires are different. The bottoms have a 17mm ID while the tops are 15mm, so the same rims aren't going to fit both without some work. The OD is listed as the same for both on this page, but the 50's tires are slightly larger.

I ordered the top tires, the "a 1 Ton truck tire", as the one that seemed to match my "scaled" sizes off the photos. The bottom ones, called "a 50's style 1 Ton truck tire" as a second chance being close in size. From Ma's Resin.

Edited by Foxer

I'm hoping Ryan Silva will have the 8 lug wheels done. He posted some photos back on page 7 in this thread. They are exactly the wheels on the 1:1. I thought of making some but after seeing Ryan's the van may be on blocks for a little bit.

and, black primer will take care of that scratch :lol:

Went back and checked and there they were.

They look good, a wee bit deeper set be nice too. ;)

Went back and checked and there they were.

They look good, a wee bit deeper set be nice too. :)

There was a set of 8 lug wheels in the MPC 1077 Dodge Pickup Truck Longbed 4x4 that I originally started looking for, but these are deep dish and would have needed to be un-dished. :D They might suit you if you can find one. Those wheels were being sold on ebay at exorbitant prices when I was looking.

A few photos of the weathering in progress ... still more to do. I want to do most of the suspension after it's mounted but I'm still trying to figure how much I have to jack it up. It's difficult without the rims but I think I can do some mock up now that I have the tires. Most of the suspension pieces in the photos just have a few layers of RustAll over some gloss black. The left door has it's two hinge pins on it as they are all cut and complete.

Weartering DSC 8052

a close up of the elusive hinge all pinned and ready to be mounted ...

hinge with pin DSC 8056

The header posed for a closeup also ... and I see a few spots needing touch up. Photos are relentless in showing what's been missed!

header DSC 8055

The chassis has been been getting smashed, bashed and peened and is getting there ... many coats of Rust All

chassis DSC 8059

Thanks for looking.. :P

Edited by Foxer

Today went well as I used some Micro Liquitape to do a temporary mock up of the suspension and got a handle on how much this really needs to be jacked up. It's .1" in the rear and .2" front. I just added .1" shims under the ends of the rear springs and will add some sides to look like shackle extensions. The front is not extremely realistic but will look ok. I added some round .2" shims under the A arm mounting and added brass pins where the A arm assembly had chassis location pins. I'll have to extend the front spindles and all the shocks to fit. All in all it wasn't a bad job. :rolleyes:

suspension shim DSC 8060

Edited by Foxer