Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette Pace Car

Scale-Master

Original Monogram kit from ’78, built out-of-the-box. Tamiya lacquers for the exterior colors. Vinyl for the red pinstripes on the body and wheels, I had to make new decals for the doors, and license plates. The hood spear is a painted decal I made to match the silver paint on the lower section. Took about three and a half weeks. There are some inaccuracies, and a few poor fitting parts, but all in all, a fun build.

Here is a link if you want to see the WIP: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57576

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

Stunning stuff, superb craftsmanship. What's inside the hatch?

Technically, the word "hatch" doesn't apply here, as only the '82 Collector Editions came from GM with a working hatch. Immediately behind the seats you'll find three compartments with lids that are flush with the rest of the surface.

1979Corvette3.jpg

The compartment behind the driver's seat contains the battery. The rest of the area below the glass is mostly carpeted storage space & two factory radio speakers. The contents of the storage area can be hidden by cover that operates about the same way as an old fashioned widow shade on a dowel, but it will help keep that carpet from fading.

Edited by Monty

I was wondering about the white fabric behind the seats.

It's just carpet (see the pic of the red interior I posted). Don't know why GM felt that was a neat styling element, but kudos to Mark for sweating the details.

Fantastic build, Mark! This is my favorite pace car of all time. I was kind of surprised at the lack of detail and occasional poor-fitting parts (glass, spoiler), but now that you've overcome all the annoyances, this looks like it should be sitting in a showroom.

As i mentioned during the build-up, the red trim on the wheels is what really sells it, since they're hard to replicate without some innovation.

ok, so what are the seat belt-ish looking straps behind the seats for? Cargo tiedowns?

Mark's correct. They're restraints which allowed you to secure your t-tops in the cargo area if you chose to take them off. Mine were mirrored, so when I took them off, I usually left them on the couch to avoid any scratches to the top surface.

Edited by Monty