Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevy Suburban with factory Napco 4 wheel drive option

P3130371_zpsqkw3ogwb.jpg

P3170400_zpseinefu0d.jpg

I've just completed this 1/24 model of a basic, stock '58 Chevy Suburban with the factory optional Napco four wheel drive option. In previous years, the Napco 4x4 was a dealer installed option but beginning in '57 it became a Chevy factory option. They all came off the assembly line with the 235' Six cylinder motor and, in '58, all the light trucks (without deluxe two tone paint) used black painted wheels. Although many currently restored versions use chrome deluxe trim, you can imagine that the vast majority of the original factory versions used the basic painted bumpers and trim since these were almost always utility vehicles used in relatively rough conditions by construction contractors, surveyors, and civil engineers back in the day.

I started with a derelict diecast '57 Suburban which was suffering from severe 'paint rash' as well as missing some trim, and adapted the front clip from a cheap MotorMax '58 pickup (one that I'd already cannibalized for the Fleetside pickup box on my previous model...a Custom '58 pickup). The original dog-leg door hinges have been replaced by fabricated 'tight-swing' hinges, and the original windshield has been replaced by a fabricated polycarbonate version that tilts back slightly to have the more accurate small roof peak that was missing on the original '57 Suburban diecast.
The basic Napco 4x4 front axle and transfer case was from a $19 Walmart M2 GMC pickup that also contributed some of the Suburban's missing trim as well as the 4-speed standard transmission.
The paint is basecoat/clearcoat mixed to approximate the original factory Granite Grey.

These 4 wheel drive Chevies weren't expected to be overly pretty, but I really like basic work trucks just as they came off the assembly line by the truck manufacturers in the '50s, etc., and the Napco Suburbans are particularly interesting to me.

P2260281_zps94uwmyay.jpg

P2260285_zpsrpidr3qu.jpg

suburban%204x4%20napco-001_zps6xtled4h.j

P3080351-001_zpss7lkw5hp.jpg

P3120359-001_zpsfhdpxj7i.jpg

P3120362-001_zpsvywly5qq.jpg

P3130363_zps7qsarcdf.jpg

Edited by traditional