Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Pontiac Club De Mer show car

Anyone know for sure the color of the original car.

I look from time to time and in some pics it looks silver yet others it looks a very light blue

I did find out a there was a replica built sometime recently ,,, and its painted in what is being referred to as Cerulean Blue...problem is I dont think the original car was that dark of a blue

I have a Club De Mer and a Lincoln Futura on the very near future to do list and I want to do them right.

I remember reading someplace that the original Club de Mer Motorama car was aluminum-bodied, with an brushed, blue anodized color to it, perhaps with a glossy clear finish on top of that. And yes, the few color Motorama pics I've seen in books show the car to be lighter even than Revell's 1956-era box art painting.

A pic or two I've seen of the actual car, taken from way back then seem to show that brushed finish to the aluminum.

Art

Here is the best picture I have been able to find of the original car.

And in these pic it sure looks like its a brushed aluminum with at least a blueish tint to it . I' 'think ' this is the original car.......

Then in some pics I've found it really looks light light blue ....what to do,,,what to do .

Was thinking to do it in a silver base with a VERY slight blue tinted clear top coat. Then cear it all .

I would love to hear ideas on the best way to do this one.

I had also thought about some testors aluminum metallizers and go that with no blue tint

And if anyone has done one of these and has any build tips,,I am all ears.

Thanks all

post-9887-0-22818300-1426788786_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-48361100-1426788857_thumb.jp

Edited by gtx6970

The way to do this is to lay down an aluminum basecot that has a touch of blue toner in it. To get the right tone, you'd want to do several spray tests on a piece of styrene that is prepped with the same primer as you'll have on the body. The easy way is to mask the test panel, expose & spray & re-mask after each test one area at a time, ( 6 squares ),To do this, starting with your aluminum base, pour off 6 seperate equal bottles, ( say 10 drops of aluminum )..... add 2 drops of blue toner to one, 3 to the next, and so on; after spraying last one, unmask all squares & then use that formula that looks closest & which works for you. ..... as long as you have an airbrush, your set !!

Edited by Krazy Rick

Thanks fellas.

To my eye the more pics I see,,the less I see any blue tint .

And its got me leaning hard towards just a bare aluminum finish. A brushed finish if I can pull it off . Big question for me ,,, is how to do that.

one I dea I had is once the metallizer is dry ,,,,,,lightly drag a scotchbrite pad thru it, then clear top coat it .

Edited by gtx6970