Model Cars Magazine Forum

Excalibur SSK 1/12 modified

LaughingIndian

If you go back and look at one of my links, there were several PII Springfields, the Henley being one of them. Chassis (without wheels and tires) & mechanicals built in Derby then shipped to Springfield for completion and bespoke fittings.

http://www.rmauctions.com/mo12/monterey/lots/1931-rolls-royce-springfield-phantom-ii-henley-roadster-by-brewster--co/1052448

"On October 18, 1919, Rolls-Royce of America was launched in Springfield, Massachusetts and produced 2,944 Silver Ghost and New Phantom cars between 1921 and 1931. When production of the Phantom II ended in England, Springfield was left with a sparse inventory of Phantom I’s and a few imported Phantom II’s, so the Derby factory completed a series of “Americanized” Phantom II chassis and sent them to Springfield. "

Here's an excellent build of the Monogram kit.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14314

Edited by sjordan2

You guys workin as a tag team or something?

I do miss 1/8 scale but I think I'll hit the 32 Ford roadster before a Pocher anything ...

Of course we are!! :lol:

Yes, Marvin and Jorge's P I is other-wordly but you can do well with a Sedanca PII base. After all, they did.

If you are less strict with accuracy you will still have an outstanding model and be able to detail to your heart's content.

Re-think maybe............. B)

If you go back and look at one of my links, there were several PII Springfields, the Henley being one of them. Chassis (without wheels and tires) & mechanicals built in Derby then shipped to Springfield for completion and bespoke fittings.

http://www.rmauctions.com/mo12/monterey/lots/1931-rolls-royce-springfield-phantom-ii-henley-roadster-by-brewster--co/1052448

"On October 18, 1919, Rolls-Royce of America was launched in Springfield, Massachusetts and produced 2,944 Silver Ghost and New Phantom cars between 1921 and 1931. When production of the Phantom II ended in England, Springfield was left with a sparse inventory of Phantom I’s and a few imported Phantom II’s, so the Derby factory completed a series of “Americanized” Phantom II chassis and sent them to Springfield. "

Here's an excellent build of the Monogram kit.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14314

Thanks again Skip. I do remember your links and will try your suggestion of the Monogram kit to get the "feel" of RRs.

But I'm partial to the Springfield Phantom I since it was truly a product of Springfield with upgraded designs that Derby would later use. I have the Phantom II chassis diagrams you got me but I'm fantasizing about this:

http://archives.rroc.org/zenphoto/index.php?album=Rolls%20Royce/Springfield%20Phantom%20I/SPRINGFIELD%20PHANTOM%20I%20MISC&image=SpP1+Chassis+Lubrication+Chart+lhd-version+MONO+R-R1926+Rossfeldt-Archvies+1000_300dpi.jpg

i can't see myself doing that right in this lifetime, so maybe a nice phantom II roadster in 1/8 scale with steerage on the proper side (and that ain't the right) will be reachable ... I wonder if they allow spray booths in nursing homes ...

Of course we are!! :lol:

Yes, Marvin and Jorge's P I is other-wordly but you can do well with a Sedanca PII base. After all, they did.

If you are less strict with accuracy you will still have an outstanding model and be able to detail to your heart's content.

Re-think maybe............. B)

You stopped me at "After all, they did."

Bastardizing an Excalibur is one thing, me fooling around with an RR is blasphemy ... although a supercharger would fit in front of that radiator ... I think ... maybe ...

Then I'm a 'blasphemer' of the highest order.

Yeah, a small 8-71 installed Bentley style with screens over the Kinsler mechanical injection stacks for the 392 Hemi...

C'mon, now you're toying with me - you've probably got it drawn up already, and are bidding on the 'bay. :rolleyes:

A V8 in a RR is a bit on the vulgar side I think, for a novice such as I anyways

But a opened up Jag would be nice, maybe with a drilled and lightened up frame (like I coulda done with the above). I'd have to do some research on hot rodding the Jag motor. Remember that hot rod jag in the original "Vanishing Point" movie challenging that "blue-printed" white Challenger? I wonder what he had in that thing ...

The body work would be a question though ...

I'm biting aren't I?

You sir are good. Very good.

WOW! Christian IS EVEN SICKER (in a good way) THAN I AM!

Mike on a serious note, I can put you in touch with a perfect resin 1/8 Jag six with 3 side draft Webers.

I saw the TDR for $100 bucks on the bay as well as a parts jag for $45. Another couple hundred for a Pocher and ...

I'm on a budget, but these kids are adding MORE fuel to my fire:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/designers/portfolios/display/store5/item180961/

Breathe in ... breathe out ...

I saw the TDR for $100 bucks on the bay as well as a parts jag for $45. Another couple hundred for a Pocher and ...

I'm on a budget, but these kids are adding MORE fuel to my fire:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/designers/portfolios/display/store5/item180961/

Breathe in ... breathe out ...

Just FYI, I was not referring to the TDR stuff.

And we're all on budgets - which always get blown out the window for special projects like this.

So the kids miss a few meals and go to trade school - what's more important??? :angry:

Just FYI, I was not referring to the TDR stuff.

And we're all on budgets - which always get blown out the window for special projects like this.

So the kids miss a few meals and go to trade school - what's more important??? :angry:

Yeah, but you Pocher guys $care me.

If the offer's still good, I am interested in the Webered Jag ...

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I lost the end of this ... I fully support the idea of hacking large scale to pieces! If 1/25 can do it , so can you guys with miles of shelf space!

It really turned out well and I went thru all I missed on this build... entertaining. Nice job!

Somehow I lost the end of this ... I fully support the idea of hacking large scale to pieces! If 1/25 can do it , so can you guys with miles of shelf space!

It really turned out well and I went thru all I missed on this build... entertaining. Nice job!

Thanks Mike.

1/12 scale is as low as I want to go with using the smaller scales as studies for what I want to do. As a matter of fact I'm planning on moving back up to 1/8 scale sooner than I thought thanks to the support of some new "friends." I'm thinking '32 Speedster ... but for now, the garden beckons.

As far as shelf space goes, I avoid it. I stow the things in bags after I take photos and "slightly" edit them. Frame em and hang them in my office or around the house. See my gallery here:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&user=13175

Although this last one didn't work as well.

Edited by LaughingIndian

I can see all your graphics talents in the photo of the Ex-Calibur and your daughter's hot rod. I've often wanted to get realistic shots of my models like these and I know all the problems it involves .. from lighting to lens focal length.

The '57 has such potential .. you know you can get it right! Was wondering it you take the model shots after you have a photo you want to put it in?

I can see all your graphics talents in the photo of the Ex-Calibur and your daughter's hot rod. I've often wanted to get realistic shots of my models like these and I know all the problems it involves .. from lighting to lens focal length.

The '57 has such potential .. you know you can get it right! Was wondering it you take the model shots after you have a photo you want to put it in?

Thanks again Mike.

The problems are mostly spending enough time with Photoshop since that can do just about everything.

It's always easiest to conform something to another that already exists so yes, I setup the model to fit a photo background ... usually. But as in the case of the Ex-caliber I was lazy and cheated on distortion (see back wheel), and didn't get the lighting right so the front chrome is too bright, and did a terrible job on matching the shadow with the cars in the background.

To do a montage like my daughter's pic, I had the model on a table in the backyard and ran and got the pick of her in our driveway to get the exact same sunlight. I spent more time on different areas of saturation and painted on the tree shadows.

Here's a pretty comprehensive, yet concise, tutorial of the zillions out there

http://youtu.be/XLK7rm1J5ww

Edited by LaughingIndian

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

super build of a mediocre kit-it looks just right the way it is -did you ever see the ''BUMERC''-  a Buick powered Mercedes ssk that Briggs Cunningham built and raced back in the 50s.  heres a pic.       also liked the way you changed the hood ornament from the excalibur to a gun sight!!!

Cunninghams-BuMerc-is-also.jpg