Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Mack AK Rigging truck, and AC dumper

Terry, this is just super, you build/make some mighty fine stuff!
Thanks Tom, I really appreciate that.

Terry, the trailer tires and wheels look good
Thanks Dennis. I was looking for something rounded and curvy enough to look vintage, and to not look like spoke wheels from a model kit(if you know what I'm sayin).

You can avoid the cracking by laminating thinner pieces until you get the thickness you want. Just be careful to line each successive layer up with the one under it and then trim off the excess. Works like a charm.
Ive done that also. At the moment I'm just out of thin styrene and I can't seem to place an order without ordering one of everything in the catalog. Self control, I have not.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to temporarily go in a different direction with the engine. Due to requests to cast the engine, I acquired some manuals and info on the H model Cummins to build a more accurate version. I don't want the engine to slow down the build, so I decided to build a END-673 for it. Using the engine from the DM600 kit, I'm backdating it to a non turbo model. This motor actually works better with the build for me. I started modifying the intake and exhaust manifolds.

98AA0132-1593-4CCF-A6BF-3407B406DB4E_zps

76EE8A7E-8729-434B-9435-FEA422DE7ACC_zps

Also, I'm contemplating putting a vertical straight stack on this truck. It wouldn't have been original, but I may try it. Any input is appreciated.

I'm sure you can "make the magic happen" with this arrangement ;)

Thanks Dennis. I think I like this better. Ill build another one when the Cummins is ready. This makes the fake backstory more interesting also. Something about a crane falling on a B model.....whole truck was destroyed except the motor....motor was transplanted into the trusty old AK. Yup, that works.

Terry,

You are making some nice progress on this one. But please tell me! Why do people always blame the crane operator???? ;-( lol

Be Well

Gator

Gator, its the only thing I could think of that would total the truck and save the engine!! ;) If it makes you feel any better, the truck driver was loading the crane on the lowboy when the accident happened. The crane operator was home with a beer.

This thing is gonna be a beast! I like it!

Thanks Sam. I'm hoping it will be a beast. It's one thing to pump an Autocar, or Mack DM800 full of steroids and resin wheels to make it a Heavy Hauler, but I want something to pre-date the Mack FK I'm working on. We're there any lowboys in the 20's?.......I guess before that it would have been a pack of Clydesdales. How do you put a Tulsa winch on a horse?

I'm trying to hit it hard this weekend. I want to at least have the rear end mounted. There's still a lot that has to be done, so we'll see. I drilled 6 holes in the injector pump. My lines are a little closer together than the 1:1, but it'll be ok. I was going to use this copper wire for the lines, but it's not cooperating. I think. I will switch it out with fishing line.

A21928A9-4CFE-4E02-874A-4C97974FB7E0_zps

1F49CF25-3FF1-4770-B47D-5B35561873B0_zps

E3367573-13CF-46C5-9F89-E4C557D04089_zps

I got some more work done on the frame. I like the looks of the chassis' on the dump trucks, so the story will be that this was a dump truck before being turned into a tractor.

1A6AB81E-A4BF-40DB-BB8B-9B64AA04DDDE_zps

CCFA646B-9D74-4591-96AE-C98490034022_zps

Building out the rear leaf spring mounts

54BB2BAC-C691-4A0B-98B1-6B84C047C1E8_zps