Model Cars Magazine Forum

post just your cabovers here

Man. I'm speachless. Outstanding. Too bad you don't have it. I hope it's not in a landfill somewhere. That would not be a proper retirement for a build of that seriousness.

Thanks man. I really was a kid then when I built it, back in my late "teens" BUT I was then and still sort of am, an avid Model Railroader.... SO I took the electronics of the model trains, and incorporated it into this truck!

Sadly, I lost this truck in a house fire. it went down in a balla flames (If I were to choose, I like that better then being "tossed" out!)

The Transtar 2 with the covered wagon is outstanding!

Thanks! It took an entire year to build that truck.... As I mentioned, I'd do it again, IF I could find a '89 Western Star.....I had one that was brown on the box, from Italeri, that I also lost in that same house fire...... I used to drive and was sort of learning by being "Grandfathered in" to CDL by a close friend, hes the guy that talked me into doing the model, and taking it to that show........

Great job John on the international and covered wagon. Very impressive...

Thanks Carl! I had a blast building that truck! -I WILL be doing others as time passes, I just have to find the right ones, first!!!!

I hear ya. Still a shame, but it didn't get buried in a landfill or used as a toy then the landfill.

Kind of a, if I can't have it, no one will. I think that's much better too.

Went down in a fireball of glory is how I look at it.....

But yes, your right if I can't have it, then no one will!

John, that combo you built is over the top! The added features you incorporated are amazing...it certainly deserved the first place win :D

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

The whole truck, I had not mentioned, when I was building it. See, the guy that was teaching me to drive CDL back then, knew I was a modeler, and knew what I was able to do..... SO he and I went on a search for a truck (tractor) and found 2 of those old AMT International COE Transtars.... bought at separate times....When both came to me on the same day, I was like OK 2 OF THEM...... Gave me a LOT of extra parts, some seen in the trailer, dual stacks, tanks you name it.....

Then Gary comes to me one day and says you need to take that truck to a contest man. it deserves to be judged.... And we went on and on about doing that for almost 4 months as it wasn't done when he started in on it.....

BUT I had to then go back and get all the info on the contest, EVERY PART must BE "cataloged" to enter!!!! I had to stop for about a week, go back and account EVERY PART.... not just sub assemblies, I had to count EVERY link of chain with a needle!

This truck in the end, had 5,400 pieces in it.... (I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) BUT I do have the paper work for entry still (it got moved with me when I relocated to New Hampshire in '04...... I didn't get to bring the truck and then about 5 years ago, my home place burnt to the ground! In one of my filing cabinets tho, is the paper work to the build, AND ALL of the ribbons I got for the show.... This model truck show was ALSO a real truck show in Reno, Nevada.... -I traveled all the way from Pennsylvania to attend!

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

The whole truck, I had not mentioned, when I was building it. See, the guy that was teaching me to drive CDL back then, knew I was a modeler, and knew what I was able to do..... SO he and I went on a search for a truck (tractor) and found 2 of those old AMT International COE Transtars.... bought at separate times....When both came to me on the same day, I was like OK 2 OF THEM...... Gave me a LOT of extra parts, some seen in the trailer, dual stacks, tanks you name it.....

Then Gary comes to me one day and says you need to take that truck to a contest man. it deserves to be judged.... And we went on and on about doing that for almost 4 months as it wasn't done when he started in on it.....

BUT I had to then go back and get all the info on the contest, EVERY PART must BE "cataloged" to enter!!!! I had to stop for about a week, go back and account EVERY PART.... not just sub assemblies, I had to count EVERY link of chain with a needle!

This truck in the end, had 5,400 pieces in it.... (I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) BUT I do have the paper work for entry still (it got moved with me when I relocated to New Hampshire in '04...... I didn't get to bring the truck and then about 5 years ago, my home place burnt to the ground! In one of my filing cabinets tho, is the paper work to the build, AND ALL of the ribbons I got for the show.... This model truck show was ALSO a real truck show in Reno, Nevada.... -I traveled all the way from Pennsylvania to attend!

You certainly compiled quite a list...That alone was a monumental task! Very unfortunate that you lost the truck and trailer in the fire. One thing is certain, nothing can destroy the wonderful memories you have of these builds!

Great Transtar, John! I certainly would not have the patience for such an amount of work going into one truck kit.

Here is mine (pic from 1983) - will be used as a donor kit (frame, engine, transmission) for a resin cab, because the chrome parts of this one have been warped and heavily distorted (grill surrounds, handlebars, mirrors, wipers etc.) - kit got heat damage from the intense sun shining through the shop window.... As I got this one at a closeout sale, there was no way to get my money back.

This was what it looked back then:

post-11195-0-27758200-1433105895_thumb.j

-I LOVED the build in itself.... I will do another I tell ya, just this time I go about it, I want to use a truck I actually owned. an '89 Western Star with a 110 inch bunk, and a 3406 Cat "425".... With a 13 speed Road Ranger transmission, and the same flat bed set up as a covered wagon......

The glory win I'll never loose..... -Just wished at times, I had taken that truck with me and not left it go down in a fiery ball of glory as it did.....