Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Forgotten Shelby Cobra Drag Car

The Jag hardtop isn't anywhere close. I started converting one of those years ago (actually a combination of the XK-E top, and a '57 T-Bird top). I'd add material on one side and grind away at the other to try to get closer to the shape. I don't think much of the original plastic is left, but it's still a far way away from where it should be. If I get back to that, I'll either vacuform it or carve the shape from floral arrangement foam and lay cloth and resin over it. I'd like to get access to the 1:1 top, though...doing these things working off of photographs doesn't cut it anymore...

I also thought there was a convertible up top in one of the 289 kits but I didn't find one in the latest release.

I have AMT Cobras in several boxes going back to the mid-'60s (original issue even, maybe? Would have bought that one in late 1966) and I've never seen a convertible up-top. I think all of them HAVE had a custom fastback-ish roof, though (which I've never seen on any real Cobra). Later issues have the front part of that top in "vinyl."

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if any of the older monogram or amt slot cars had a hard top I feel like I've seen one .

Randy, maybe you are thinking of the Le Mans hardtop that HRM offers.

DSCN0823vi-vi.jpgDSCN1762-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...