Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my latest and 3rd truck model, an Italeri Pete 377. Only problem so far was one of the rear axles was warped real bad and I had to heat it to bring it back into shape.

You will notice in the pictures that I have added some plumbing. This is in no way prototypical, I'm just sort of "dipping my toe in". It does add to the "realism" of the model and I hope to expand on it in future builds.

Is there a trick to keeping the back tires from falling off? It looks like that little black ring you put on between the inner and outer rims is supposed to snap on the axle, but it don't.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

You just have to glue the rims. It sucks if you want the wheels to roll, as for me I don't care. Your off to great start. I would suggest cutting the "axle blocks" off the front springs. The trucks sits high. There's a big gap between the tire and fender, doesn't look very real. Just a suggestion. This will be a looker with that red metallic paint. Lookin forward to seeing more.

Lookin good. Mine is still in progress too. I'm smoothing the cab and sleeper. Stretched the living daylights out of it too. Makes me want to pick it up and start working on it again, seeing this one.

I can't advise on the wheel/tire thing however as I haven't gotten that far into mine. Want to make sure the bodywork and chassis workout before I tackle what could be used as parts for other rigs if the bodywork doesn't work out.

Is there a trick to keeping the back tires from falling off? It looks like that little black ring you put on between the inner and outer rims is supposed to snap on the axle, but it don't.

The intention of that little black ring is to glue it to the axle stub and not the inner wheel, easier said than done in most cases. As Tim said, I dislike models rolling of the shelf as well.

I would suggest cutting the "axle blocks" off the front springs. The trucks sits high. There's a big gap between the tire and fender, doesn't look very real.

Doing that will cause the truck to nose dive, and it just might lift the rear drives up....

Yep....You've got a great start...The plumbing looks great......As everyone has stated, the little ring is supposed to be glued to the very tips of the axles, but rolling wheels are a bit over rated....I lost a Payhauler 350 because the wheels rolled so well.....My Volvo that I recently built has rolling wheels, but while the trailer wheels roll, they don't roll easy.....Keeping it ON the shelf.....

Ah, thanks guys, I get it now. You put the inner rim on, glue the little black ring to the outer axle, then glue the inner and outer rims together. I think I will do as many have suggested and glue them solid. I have already almost lost if off the bench.

If you are going to change the way the front end sits. You will have to change the rear suspension as well.

ie; Lower the front end means you will have to shim the rear suspension in order to fill the gap between the frame and the suspension to get all the wheels on the ground.

Doing this should not be very difficult at all. Just needs a bit a care to be done right.

You are doing a fine job on these trucks. Keep it up.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

If you are going to change the way the front end sits. You will have to change the rear suspension as well.

ie; Lower the front end means you will have to shim the rear suspension in order to fill the gap between the frame and the suspension to get all the wheels on the ground.

Doing this should not be very difficult at all. Just needs a bit a care to be done right.

You are doing a fine job on these trucks. Keep it up.

Be Well

Gator

I Googled Peterbilt 377, and looked at dozens of images. There are many of them that do have a lot of clearance between the tire and wheel opening. Some pictures the gap was small, There doesn't seem to be a consistent height IMO, so I think I will stay with the original design of the kit. Thanks for all the input.

These pictures were taken inside with a flash, and make the red look lighter than it is. I hope to take the next pictures outside if not raining.

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

Edited by Jonj238

Nice work... Love the YELLOW painted Detriot series 60 (ie... its suppose to be Detriot green even though the green looks more blue to me? O.o )

You do realise that the instructions call for the engine to be painted yellow, don't you? Granted, Italeri got it wrong here, but when you're not aware of something and you read yellow on the instruction sheet you go with yellow. I'm sure you would have done the same if you were unaware of the proper color as well.

Nice work Jon, keep it going

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

Looks really nice thus far! I always glue my wheels on . That way the model will not roll off the shelf. And yes .

I had that happen.Got the box full of parts to prove it.lol

Be Well

Gator

Or... If you don't want your models to roll off the shelf, use a level. Just sayin. ;)

This is my latest and 3rd truck model, an Italeri Pete 377. Only problem so far was one of the rear axles was warped real bad and I had to heat it to bring it back into shape.

You will notice in the pictures that I have added some plumbing. This is in no way prototypical, I'm just sort of "dipping my toe in". It does add to the "realism" of the model and I hope to expand on it in future builds.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

No, the small rings don't sn the shaft pins, they have to be glued on. Just be careful for the amount of glue here, be careful. These will retain the inner wheels and by glueing the outer wheels on to the inner ones they all will rotate together. By the way put some petroleum jelly on the axle shaft before glueing to make it easier to rotate the wheels.

You do realise that the instructions call for the engine to be painted yellow, don't you? Granted, Italeri got it wrong here, but when you're not aware of something and you read yellow on the instruction sheet you go with yellow. I'm sure you would have done the same if you were unaware of the proper color as well.

Nice work Jon, keep it going

Catertroit Diesel... Or Detroipillar.

Catertroit Diesel... Or Detroipillar.

I'm new to trucks, so I don't know my engines yet, but to tell the truth, I thought it was a Cummings. Good thing I didn't put the Cummings decals that I have, on the engine! But then those are white, aren't they?