Model Cars Magazine Forum

What if Monogram had done 1/25?

The thing that turned me off to the Monogram offerings was the simplification of them.

That was actually a plus when i was a kid. i didn't like the fragile Revell kits (before revell bought them, obviously)

I'm sure at the time, 1/24 made sense.

I remember and loved many of the Tom Daniels designed models from my yuth and I gladly built them as I thought they were cool, and I don't care much if the model is 1:24th or 1:25th scale, the difference is small and the subject is more important.
1:25th scale is mostly done by the US manufacturers, most others go for 1:24th scale like Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, Italeri and several others.

Don't know the sales figures, but I suspect that back in the '60s Monogram would have moved more units if they were 1/25 scale. Sure, the kits were pretty simplistic and lacked detail, but they would have been good starting points for projects - especially at the prices being asked ( I know I would have been more interested).

Was the scale difference really a moot point? I did build the Slingshot dragster and the Yellow Jacket '30 Ford roadster and I remember (to my eye) that they were somehow vaguely kinda-sorta "bigger".

Now, if you wanna get into "if only" - if only AMT had NOT molded seats into the interior tub and NOT molded the stock exhaust system into the frame - nah, change that to NOT molded anything into the frame.

Edited by Reegs

BETA remained by far the worlds format for video tape before the entire genre got obsoleted by disks. By far. And a far FAR superior system of tape transport and playback quality than the VHS that americans (RCA?) developed to avoid paying royalties to Sony for their proprietary format. Again, the American consumer was the loser.

jb