Model Cars Magazine Forum

' 56 Chrysler 300B In The Home Stretch!

smellyfatdude

I've had this painted for awhile, and since I built the ' 55 300 with a non-stock paint job, I decided I'd do this build in one of Chrysler's "holy trinity" of color selections for that year. Krylon Dual satin ivory seemed a pretty good match, so I sprayed the body with several coats and added some Rustoleum clear. I did all the foil yesterday, and now I'm just blazing away on the rest. :lol:

I could have sworn I had about three jars of Model Master flat interior tan that I'd bought when I did the ' 55, yet I could find none of them. So, I used Testors flat light tan in the square bottle. Might just be a wee shade darker than the factory color, but I think it's close.

I'm going to leave off all of the underhood decals, to give it more of an appearance of a restored car, as opposed to factory fresh.

Got the week off, so I'm hoping I can get a good portion of it finished. :rolleyes:

foils%20006m_zpscxutyvth.jpg

foils%20004m_zpsr9xy5rwk.jpg

foil%20003m_zps9crfcj3b.jpg

Edited by smellyfatdude

The chrome looks exquisite! Did you do the lettering by the BMF-paint-scratch paint off method? It looks fantastic.

Yes, I did foil the lettering on the rear quarters and the front prior to laying the paint on, then cleaned them off with enamel thinner. I wish it was really as exquisite as it appears, but of course even a good camera (which mine isn't) can hide the flaws.

Got the rest of the engine assembled, this morning. Again, didn't bother with the decals. It's been more than two years since I built the ' 55, and I'd forgotten just how nicely detailed these engines in the Moebius kits are. Somehow, I managed out of two (yes, two!) kits to lose both upper radiator hoses, so I'll have to swipe something out of my parts stash.

Today will be the day to finish the interior. Plus, the post office tried to deliver my resin ' 61 Starliner yesterday while I was out. So, I have to run down to the local sub post office to pick it up, then dig through my pile of kits to try and find that AMT ' 60 Starliner chassis. I have this dreadful feeling it's at the back of the closet. :(

engine%20008m_zpsagittiew.jpg

61_zpshoxjerjx.jpg

Well, despite having a week off from work, I got a little behind schedule on this. But the interior is finally finished. I think Moebius got this one 100% right, as far as accuracy goes. If not, it's darn close! ;)

The chassis will be next, and this is one kit that I'm actually looking forward to the final assembly!

interior%20010_zpsltjjwlsp.jpg

interior%20017m_zpsbagtbjxm.jpg

interior%20014m_zpslqyess1g.jpg

interior%20020_zpsdokoy2xo.jpg

It looks beautiful!

As for that upper rad hose, I usually don't even bother with the kit ones, find an electrical wire the same thickness, strip both ends leaving some wire, then glue one end into the thermostat housing and when dry, bend the wire to fit into the rad perfectly, so much easier, especially for the lower rad hoses, you can brush paint it with acrylic Nato Black if you need to after it's installed. Thin strips of foil or photo etch hose clamps can also be added after if you wish.

Love the work so far!!