Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lonestar & Featherlite-ish Transporter

She's coming together very well.....I like the overall look of this thing.....I guess it's the curved edges on the front end of the trailer that I really like......Tough to get that even on both sides for me....Haven't really implemented that on my designs, yet.....But I see I'm going to have to step it up a bit.... :D Great work.....

Did you use a Italeri roof or floor for your frame ? Those tabs look familiar...this is giving me some great ideas. Your builds look great,keep it up !

I did not, I used Evergreen sheet plastic and Plastistruct I Beams to make the floor/frame.

This update is going to cover the liftgate and the progress of the engine,  going to start with the engine

IMG_0439_zpsgdw2ynu0.jpg

IMG_0440_zpseeqkleln.jpg

And now to turn our attention to the liftgate

starting with a piece of .60 sheet plastic

IMG_0437_zpshefiwahh.jpg

IMG_0443_zps8zy6w8xh.jpg

the uprights( I am not sure what the official word is for them), is what the gate is going to attach to, used some sprue, drilled a hole through them for the retaining rod to go through

IMG_0446_zps2ab9hwkm.jpg

also need to build the gate extender , starting with a piece of Plastruct diamond plate , and a piece of .30 sheet , the .30 is to give the diamond plate some extra strength.

IMG_0447_zps0t9cpous.jpg

using square tube, not sure the size, drilled holes for the rods

IMG_0448_zpsu6vc6ei7.jpg

Holes drilled for the retaining pins

IMG_0450_zpsjob6wtkg.jpg

and a completed extender

IMG_0453_zpsqyg2v23g.jpg

IMG_0458_zpsudmmv3xs.jpg

attached , in the extended position

IMG_0454_zpsscdyijlb.jpg

and in the non extended position

IMG_0455_zpsflicphgu.jpg

IMG_0457_zpsmvvnk8cb.jpg

And that concludes this update , thanks for watching

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work on the lift gate....Thanks for laying that out.....It will make for some excellent reference whenever I decide to do another trailer.....The interior looks well appointed, enough for me.....The white with black accents seems to be a staple for these things.....Looks pretty awesome....The opening side boxes look great, too.....

That Lonestar is coming along nicely, as well.....One of my favorite rigs......I would say the Lonestar/Prostars from Moebius and the Volvo VN 780/670 models from Italeri are my favorites.....They're the most "race rig friendly", if you will.....Awesome work, Man....

• 4 weeks later...

Havent updated in while but still have been working on it slowly ,  at this point, I am almost finished , but for now, will post some of the photos that I have took so far, it has been painted(boring white).

a look at the blurry steps

Sat dish made, Front section A/C units made, sat dish is sitting on top of the gen compartment

And in the ready to receive a signal position 

And been working on the viewing platform railings,  I still need to cut the sheet plastic for the rest of the sides.

The rear section , chrome vinyl applied , BMF on the lower I have no idea what to call it diamond plate

And the rear sliding doors, now, I sort screwed myself on them, when I made the rear section that doors are on, I made the gap for the doors really tight, so I was not able to make the doors look they do on the real trailers,  I was going to add strip plastic on the outer edge to make a frame, and I was going to add a window, but there would made them way to thick and would not allow them to slide for the open position

IMG_0793_zpszxzzevhd.jpg

And the generator compartment

IMG_0802_zps9dzfg15u.jpg

Edited by martinfan5