Model Cars Magazine Forum

Same here, models and guitar. I got a no name eBay special (Fender Stratocaster copy) back in 08-09 and have played on and off since. I don't play a lot, no band or anything but it's still very fun. I just got a B.C. Rich Warlock body and neck and am currently in the process of rebuilding it.

Yep models and guitars for me too, I was in a few rock type bands about 10 years ago, my current "gear" I have

Fender Precision Bass

Fender Jazz bass 60s reissue

Gibson SG Special (Pete Towshend ltd )

Fender Telecaster Lite Ash

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Fender Bronco and Mustang modelling amps ...great little amps.

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar!  When I was in sixth grade in 1971, my folks got me a Framus folk guitar for Christmas.  They hired a local lady they knew to teach me guitar. First lesson she asked me to hold up my hands. She just shook her head and said,  "Short stubby fingers, you'll never play the guitar!"  And she left.  And that was the end of my guitar career!  I still have the guitar,  it's a wall decoration in my den.

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar!  When I was in sixth grade in 1971, my folks got me a Framus folk guitar for Christmas.  They hired a local lady they knew to teach me guitar. First lesson she asked me to hold up my hands. She just shook her head and said,  "Short stubby fingers, you'll never play the guitar!"  And she left.  And that was the end of my guitar career!  I still have the guitar,  it's a wall decoration in my den.

Ah, but I think she was wrong and just not up to the challenge.  I have relatively short and stubby fingers.  Short stubbies mean work arounds.  Barre chords become abbreviated 4-string (sometimes 5-string if I'm lucky) chords.  I lose some of the bass intonation but that's why we have a bass player, right?  I've been playin' at guitar for right at 40 years.  I'm not a big name pro (I play in a church band, do some traditional country/gospel) but I have fun with it.

I like Epiphone Les Pauls

064.JPG

The correct term for the medical condition that has afflicted Chris is called "GAS".

Guitar

Acquisition

Syndrome    :P

My bad for not complimenting you on your stash.  Only 14? 

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah I been learning guiatr for the past years it's going slow I know chords and stuff 

here is a pic of my epiphone plus top pro in dirty Lemmon, one day it will have Jimmy page wireing and other mods and I have a tube amp ordered  right now I have a fender front man 10 watt amp

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a cheapish Yamaha 4 string bass and a little Fender rumble 15 amp. I am trying (once again) to get back into playing. I never was real great, but back in the late 80's I had some talent. Main issue has always been I can't play by ear. So I never could get into a band. They never had sheet music I could learn from. :rolleyes:

One thing I did learn was it doesn't matter how good the equipment is if you don't work at it. I do really miss my old 80's BC Rich Warlock bass I had back then though. I also at one point back then had an Ovation Ultra Bass with a whammy bar. Now THAT was fun. :D

Oh, I also played a bit at guitar in high school and while in the Navy. Never good at it either. My only real guitar was a Gibson Melody Maker I bought used in 79. I screwed up and didn't take it out to sea with me once and the place I lived in while on shore got broken into and it got stolen. Nowadays my fingers are too fat to really play a guitar, unless it is a 12 string with the second set of strings removed.

My main problem in life is that I don't like having to practice to get better. Makes playing music and even building models tough.

Russ

Began playing (learning) electric bass in 1953 with a Supro 3/4 scale solid body that was 'way beyond it's prime, went through Harmony (work you to death), Hagstom (fast, but junk electronics) and to my wonderful old Hofner "Committe" model semi-acoustic, c. 1962,  It's a beauty, nicely use-worn, with LOTS of mother of pearl, fancy binding, and crystal scratch plate.  It plays very well, and has that Hofner 'bull fiddle' sound like the McCartney violin body style, both of which -- old school -- had the cantilever neck tail that didn't touch the soundboard. I got mine in 1970 from and Air Force lifer who had brought it back from Germany wrapped in a GI blanket, so natch the scratch plate was broken.  Played gigs for a few years, then hung it up.  Sorry, no pics.

I now lug around a Dean Playboy acoustic-electric (black, custom pinstirped by "Rebel One" in CA, and am starting a DooWop revival band locally.

Wick Humble

Man, that's pretty.............. :wub:

I don't know anything about kit guitars, what do they come with? and did you finish the top yourself?

Thanks.  Most kits have everything you need to build the guitar. They don't include glue, finish or instructions. Most kits have low cost hardware such as tuners, pickups and bridges. For this guitar I only used the body and the bridge and tailpiece, all the other parts have been upgraded, the most notable being a scratch built neck. The neck that was included was a little too thick and I like big frets on an ebony fingerboard, so I made my own.  Just like model cars, the finish is often the most demanding part of the build. I did finish this one myself. I sprayed 3 colors of dye (amber, medium brown and back ) on bare wood for the sunburst. Then I sealed with shellac and topped that with hybrid varnish.

I bought a squire 0912 as I took guitar lessons. now I still cannot play guitar <_<

My ideal guitar is ES335 Gibson. :)

In 1970 I bought a new ES335. 6 months later it was stolen out of our tour bus, which was parked right outside the band's house. It was insured but painful nevertheless.

I like to build guitars, mandolins and bass guitars. I have completed more than 50 so far. This is one that I built from a kit. The neck I scratch built from 3 pieces of big leaf maple with an ebony fingerboard.

002.JPG

That's Beautiful! ... I always wanted to learn but due to financial stress right now have no money to afford a good Gibson like I would love to have! :P