Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing Dash Gauges

Can anyone give me any advice on how to paint (or detail) interior dash gauges? I have seen some on this site that are fantastic. Some very talented builders out there. I'd like to be able to highlight the speedometer needle and numbers, etc. Thanks.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to paint (or detail) interior dash gauges? I have seen some on this site that are fantastic. Some very talented builders out there. I'd like to be able to highlight the speedometer needle and numbers, etc. Thanks.

Most seem to be decals or photocopies. I have tried to find sources for weeks, and can't get a clue. Not many responses. Seems that it would be a great after market item.

Hi,

There are several different ways to detail the gauges. One way is to use a toothpick. Prepare your

paint...dull the point of the toothpick ever-so-slightly (experiment a bit and test it on some scrap

pieces)...dip the toothpick in the paint and wick most of it off on a clean paper towel...then carefully

'brush' the toothpick accross the characters. It will require a steady hand and a magnifier would

help. This method is dependant on how good the character relief is. The better the relief, the easier

this method is.

Another way to do it is to flow paint into the gauge face then using a Q-Tip or clean rag (dipped in

thinner) to wipe the surface of the relief characters. Again, a steady hand is necessary.

In both of the above cases, I would suggest using either Tamiya or Model Master (Testors) Acryl

paint, as they are water soluable and if you mess up, it is a fairly easy task to simply clean it off

and start over. Remember, what you are trying to do is to just touch-over the tops of the relief.

You could try dry-brushing with a conventional brush, but you run the risk of over-painting. That is

why the toothpick is recommended.

Then there is the decal method. Many kits provide decals of gauge faces on their decal sheets. The

decal method works best when the relief is very poor or non-existent. If you have the resouces (ie:

the proper printer, decal material and overcoats) then you could create your own decals. As has been

suggested right here on the forum, there are many online sources for gauge face art. You would simply

download them, resize and print...then cut them out and apply. I think that Detail Master also sells

a gauge face decal set. If you decide to go with decals, you should have some kind of decal setting

solution handy (like Micro-Sol or SolveSet). This will make the decals hunker-down into the recesses

and make the decal appear more realistic.

I hope that this helps.

Steve

My best source for dash panels is eBay. Sellers will often take closeup pics of the dash panel to show the mileage. Even better, sometimes you'll find a picture of just the dash panel for sale.

Once I have a copy of the image, I scale it in PowerPoint then print it onto glossy photo paper. That's how I was able to get a perfect copy of a mid-nineties ZR-1 instrument panel for one of my projects.

Here's a picture of of an instrument panel for a 1967-1972 Chevy GM truck that I just found with a quick search:

de81_1.JPG

Here's one for a 63-67 Vette:

6d92_1.JPG

Good luck,

My best source for dash panels is eBay

That's a great idea Raul! Could work for other things too, like badges and engine bay decals maybe.

Following on from Steve's techniques, I usually dry-brush my gauges, which is similar to the tooth pick method. A little paint on the brush, work it on a paper towel until it's nearly dry, then gently stroke the side of the brush bristles over the gauge. This still depends upon having nicely molded gauges to work with though.

Toothpick method works "good enough" especially if the car has a roof. A bunch of random blobs and dots is all it takes to make it seem more detailed than it really is. Don't forget to add red to the over-rev portion of the tach, heater buttons, fuel gauge, etc.

This dash had no engraving on the main gauges, I just guesstimated the placement of the gauge numbers using a toothpick. Blunt the end of the toothpick so it will hold a very small drop of paint at the tip, then transfer the dot onto the gauge. You aren't painting with the toothpick, but rather dabbing on the paint.

P9250037-vi.jpg

What's goin' on...

Here's how I was taught. Take some matte aluminum Bare Metal Foil and apply it to the entire face of the dash and trim it. Next take a piece of tissue and rub it really well. Use a wash to fill in the gauges and allow to dry or use a Sharpe Marker. Take some fine sand paper and "LIGHTLY" rub over the surface of the gauges until the raised surfaces are clean and clear. Then w/ a fine paint brush start painting around the trim rings of the gauages and then go back and finish painting the face of the dash. Because BMF covered the entire face of the dash if there's any trim left around the dash that too can be sanded down as well giving it sharp look. Here's an advantage if ya screw up all ya do is peel off the Metal Foil and try again speaking from LOTS of experience. I did this last night on a dash for the AMT 1:25 Kenworth T600. I'll post pics later. Here's a dash that I did that to for the R/G 1:25 Peterbilt 359. This is a fair picture not the best.

By the way...

I like the idea of photoshopping a picture of the dash! I'll have to try that!

2314395185_3df40b202f_o.jpg

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic