Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deuce Roadster- blown Hemi - Now Under Glass

Phildaupho

This model is a tribute to a car I remember from the sixties seeing it often at car shows. It still has the same owner, although it was sold in the seventies and then found again over a quarter of a century later. It was always a very cool car but it is now the way the owner always wanted it. Back in the 60’s it was brown, the blower had its natural cast finish and was fueled by triple carbs. I think I always thought it was a Deuce but knew there was something different about it, like maybe it was channelled. In reality it is a 1930 Model A on a Deuce frame with 32 fenders and grill shell.

photo

photo4-vi

photo6-vi

DSCN1483

DSCN1484

-         The model is all Deuce – body, fenders and frame. Filled cowl vent and door handle holes. Gas tank removed and roll-pan added to body. ’34 Ford taillights. Rear fenders bobbed.

-         Hemi from 5-Window kit [Note – The instruction show the heads going on upside down and there is no starter indicated]

-         Blower assembly from Revell Willys street-rod. I had to do some trimming to get the blower drive and belt assembly to fit in available space between engine and radiator which was sunk into the grill shell

-         Air cleaner from Revell 41 Chev Pickup

-         Tires from the Revell 30 Sedan as are front wheels. Rear wheels are resin.

-         Drilled beam section added to front axle

Edited by Phildaupho
update

I really hate to be the one to tell you, but having messed around with a full size blown Hemi 392 Chrysler in my brothers boat, and built almost every model of a Hemi engine that's been produced, the heads on the Revell kit are right on the instructions, you have yours on upside down, if you will look really close at the pictures of your original car, note the angle of the intake manifold area of the heads on it, then look at your model, you'll plainly see the difference. 

If you want, look at the thread on the Gasser Gremlin in this forum and look at the pictures of the 392 Hemi from AMT that he's using, you'll notice those heads are different than the ones on your model and are like the ones Revell shows on their instructions, I doubt if two different manufacturers would make the same mistake decades apart since the AMT version is a reissue of a '60s release. Happy building, love the looks you have going, if you wait a little longer you can make a real duplicate of the original one using the new Revell "A" as a body chassis donor, it even has the correct front axle..

Del - Thanks for your reply. I am definitely no HEMI expert but I think this is something that needs to clarified. This is why On the Workbench posts can be so informative to builders.
Please have a close look at the instructions from the Revell 32 5-Window. In the upper drawing the heads are shown in my opinion upside down. The vertical tabs are meant to fit into the recess in the block. The two open slots on the lower edge are for the exhaust flange as shown correctly in the lower drawing. There are also moldings for the cooling water crossover pipe on the upper front top of the heads. As well tabs on the valve covers properly mate with the heads when installed as I fitted them.

DSCN1485

I completed the engine first so I could accurately locate the opening in the hood to clear the air-cleaner. During assembly I noticed in addition to showing the heads upside down, the instructions also show the exhaust manifold flanges upside down and the oil filter does not have a notch as shown.

DSCN1517DSCN1523DSCN1524DSCN1528DSCN1531

Great looking engine!  Is the kit from Monogram with the frame molded to the fenders/running boards.....or is it the Revell kit?  Looks like a good project.

Hello Wayne - This is the Revell kit. I attached the fenders to the frame before painting to make test fitting everything easier. After painting will just have to dull coat the running boards,

Hi Phil, your hotrod is coming along well and the motor looks good.  Nice attention to details everywhere.  Do you have a color chosen?  Michael

Thanks guys -  Michael -  The model will be black like the real car with tan interior and orange wheels and grill

• 3 weeks later...