Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW PLACE TO GET PARTS CHROME PLATED!

If you are thinking about having some parts chrome plated. Contact Charles at Model Car Chrome! He is chrome plating model parts with an all new process that is much more durable than kit chrome. The finish is incredible as well! The guy is really nice to deal with and is happy to answer your questions. He will be getting all my business from now on!
https://m.facebook.com/modelcarchrome

Does anybody know the thickness of the finished chrome on the parts?  Stuff looks really nice, but am curious if small/fine detail might be lost.  I'm thinking of something like small hex head bolts on wheel faces, such as on Super Trick or similar wheels where there are small exposed details.  Guess I should just e-mail him for information...

Does anybody know the thickness of the finished chrome on the parts?  Stuff looks really nice, but am curious if small/fine detail might be lost.  I'm thinking of something like small hex head bolts on wheel faces, such as on Super Trick or similar wheels where there are small exposed details.  Guess I should just e-mail him for information...

I was wondering the same thing, and also how close it comes to chrome or if it's just the usual "shiny silver" that we get from spray-on chrome paint.

an all new process that is much more durable than kit chrome.

How did you test the various manufacturer's (and which company's products did you test?) chrome plated finishes versus this "new" spray on method and come to this conclusion, Ben? Is the clear coat guaranteed not to yellow after exposure to UV light? 

USPS money orders only. No thanks. It's insane to me that people still operate like this. 

You have to go to the post office anyway to send the rack, what's the problem?

Some people don't like credit cards or don't wish to pay the rather high fees PayPal charges.

The only drawback to a postal money order is they're expensive. The major advantage is they're instant cash- bring it to any post office, and they'll cash it for you. Personally, I'd be okay with a MoneyGram, Republic, AMEX or WU money order, which can also be presented for cash at their respective agents.

Maybe the guy doesn't like banks, and honestly, I don't know if I blame him for that, even the small banks are being regulated into oblivion and their service is suffering. 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with operating on cash. I've been doing it for years because I have no credit after a very, very long stint of unemployment.

Perhaps you should consider the views of others before slamming them for a safe, legal, and reasonable business practice. 

$25 for a full rack? That's very reasonable.

Charlie Larkin

How did you test the various manufacturer's (and which company's products did you test?) chrome plated finishes versus this "new" spray on method and come to this conclusion, Ben? Is the clear coat guaranteed not to yellow after exposure to UV light? 

The service provider claims to use 2K clear, which is an automotive-grade urethane product. I would hope that won't yellow.

Charlie Larkin

Some people don't like credit cards or don't wish to pay the rather high fees PayPal charges.

The only drawback to a postal money order is they're expensive. The major advantage is they're instant cash- bring it to any post office, and they'll cash it for you. Personally, I'd be okay with a MoneyGram, Republic, AMEX or WU money order, which can also be presented for cash at their respective agents.

Maybe the guy doesn't like banks, and honestly, I don't know if I blame him for that, even the small banks are being regulated into oblivion and their service is suffering. 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with operating on cash. I've been doing it for years because I have no credit after a very, very long stint of unemployment.

Perhaps you should consider the views of others before slamming them for a safe, legal, and reasonable business practice. 

$25 for a full rack? That's very reasonable.

Charlie Larkin

I don't have to go to the post office, I get pickups. It's great to have the option, but to make it your only way of accepting payment narrows down your customers. credits cards, banks and PayPal are safe, legal and reasonable business practices as well. 

People can run their business how they want, I support that. I just don't understand why you would deliberately limit your clientele over something so simple. 

No, you don't. You can print labels and ship right from your home, and USPS will even pick up your packages for free. I haven't set foot inside the Post Office to mail a package, even one going USPS International, for at least two years.

There are no fees when you use PayPal to send money from your account or directly from a checking account. The seller pays a small fee (~3% or so), but not the buyer.

A USPS Money Order includes some legal protections for both parties to to Federal mail fraud regulations, but it's not very convenient for the buyer, who is out the cost of the trip to the Post Office and the $.90 (or whatever they cost now) for the money order. If you're old school (as I know you are, Charlie), it's more appealing, but to those more accepting of smartphone technology and more convenient, efficient methods of paying for things, it's not very appealing.

The service provider claims to use 2K clear, which is an automotive-grade urethane product. I would hope that won't yellow.

Me, too. I also wonder how smooth and evenly the clear is applied. Maybe Ben can post some up close pics of the parts he received and used for his comparisons?

Edited by Casey

Me, too. I also wonder how smooth and evenly the clear is applied. Maybe Ben can post some up close pics of the parts he received and used for his comparisons?

I would like to see some samples, myself. From the Facebook photos, it looks decent, but some run-of-the mill sampling would be nice to see. 

I did ask, and from what the man was saying, it's a system similar to Cosmi-Chrome. Cosmi-Chrome is very good quality, but I don't know too much about its competitors. Cosmi-Chrome is certainly less money to start out with than vacuum-plating, at about $1200 for the starter system. Industrial vacuum chambers (I know, I've looked,) that seem to be appropriate for plating, were running north of $5000, and that was a few years back.

Charlie Larkin

This is really not a new process. It’s the same process they use to silver plate mirrors. Centuries old. I just bought a kit. And will soon start doing platting. This is a chemical process not real chrome platting. Thickness depends on how much you apply. About the same thickness as vacuum platting. But what they don’t tell you is that your parts have to be perfectly smooth. Any flaws in the surface will show up. They like me will not finish the parts for you.

So I would recommend that you paint a black or very dark blue base coat on your parts. This way you will see the surface shine that you will get back. If it is shinny and no marks. The silver will coat it and shine like chrome. The clear coat is sprayed on it to protect it. An automotive clear urethane is UV protected. It will not turn yellow in time. I don’t know about Model Chrome. But they will tell you that they are not responsible for under surface finish. What you see is what you get.

I don't have to go to the post office, I get pickups. It's great to have the option, but to make it your only way of accepting payment narrows down your customers. credits cards, banks and PayPal are safe, legal and reasonable business practices as well. 

People can run their business how they want, I support that. I just don't understand why you would deliberately limit your clientele over something so simple. 

To avoid paying tax's on the business their running. Pay Pal will do the same to you if your doing to many money transfers. They will ask you to do an business account to report to the IRS.