Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan Maverick Pro Stock Grabber

FordRodnKustom

Maybe AMT still has the molds?

bb58b26cb2a3f69eee5fe133b0008aee.jpg

If AMT still has any of the parts, it would be the body and the hood for the Maverick.  Testors has re-issued the Comet (which is mostly the same parts) 2x since AMT did this, and I believe Jo-Han under Okey Spaulding also did a Comet release (maybe with Testors doing the production?)  IIRC, the Maverick parts were some of the things carried off/"lost" before Mr. Spaulding took over the assets.

I've got the JoHan Javelin and the AMT Javelin, and they're identical kits except for the tail lights The one pictured in the post above is supposed to be a '72, the AMT issue is supposed to be a '74. They both have the same grille, the only change was the tail lights, every other part is identical. I'm sure the same holds true for the JoHan and AMT Mavericks, like Keyser said. Any Testors issues (The HSO kits in the strange boxes, Testors added the metal rims and the AMX had a small PE fret) were ran by JoHan at the end of their life for Testors, I've got the JoHan Pro-Street 'Cuda and AMX, and the Testors HSO versions, and they're identical.

Johan did make a 71 Toronado kit and promo...love to have one my first 1 to 1 car was a 72 Toronado.   Johan also made a 74 AMX snap kit...its another I have been after it was in there series of snap kits...72 Torino,77? Cadillac Coupe Deville,75 Cutlass S,Stude Lark and ?   I always liked their snap kits they build into great models.

The AMT-boxed Jo-Han kits were just that...produced by Jo-Han and packaged in AMT boxes with AMT decals and instruction sheets.  Parts in these were not bagged (AMT started bagging unplated parts around 1969; Jo-Han kit parts were never bagged until the Seville era).  The plastic used was the more brittle Jo-Han type also.  Had these been manufactured by AMT at their facility, parts would have been bagged like other AMT kits, and the plastic would have been similar to what AMT was using in that time frame.  If anyone out there knows which company initiated the deal, why it was done, why particular kits were or were not shared, who ended the deal, and why it ended...they've kept it to themselves.  All of the higher-ups from that era in both companies are now deceased.  Jo-Han started the USA Oldies series in '74; maybe they wanted to keep those for themselves (or maybe AMT didn't want to try selling those under their brand name).

Jo-Han kits sold by AMT include Olds Toronados ('67, '68, and '70), Olds 4-4-2 ('69 and '70), two-seater AMX ('68-'70), "Coke bottle" Javelin/AMX ('74), and non-stock items like the Hornet hatchback funny car ('73), pro stock Maverick, Dodge Challenger funny car, '72 Torino NASCAR, and Mark Donohue Trans-Am Javelin/AMX.  Some were offered by Jo-Han at the same time the AMT versions were sold; others (two-seater AMX for example) were not sold by Jo-Han in their packaging while AMT sold them.  The kit-sharing started in late '66 with the '67 Toronado which was included in AMT's '67 annual kit lineup, and ended with the NASCAR Torino, pro stock Maverick, and Challenger funny car in the AMT '74 catalog.  It's been a while since I looked, but I don't think any of those kits carried over into the AMT '75 catalog.

Johan did make a 71 Toronado kit and promo...love to have one my first 1 to 1 car was a 72 Toronado.   Johan also made a 74 AMX snap kit...its another I have been after it was in there series of snap kits...72 Torino,77? Cadillac Coupe Deville,75 Cutlass S,Stude Lark and ?   I always liked their snap kits they build into great models.

They also made a 1972 Toronado.  I have one of each, and the only difference is the front bumper air intakes on the bottom (which you probably knew).  I'll post pictures of the lids tomorrow, if you like.

So the Comet kit is pretty much like the Maverick, or no as I have one somewhere in my stash?

They are pretty close.  The differences are the body, hood, front bumper, steering wheel (stock in the Comet kit, custom in the Maverick), bucket seats, shifters (Hurst in Comet vs. Mr. Gasket in the Maverick), the roll cage is better in the Maverick, and the carb setup is different between the two.  The chassis, basic engine and trans, interior tubs, wheels and tires are the same.  They were even closer in the original issues with the stock parts.  Doing a sprue by sprue comparison would be difficult for me, as most if not all of the kits I own of both of the Pro Stocks have had things added and removed.  If I find an unmolested kit of each, and anyone is interested, I could do a comparison with pictures.

Edited by fomocomav
More explanation

I would be interested! I've had both kits but never at the same time. A side by side comparo would be informative for sure.

I might have bitten off a big chunk when I suggested this.  I could actually do THREE comparo articles (stock vs. stock, Pro Stock vs. Pro Stock and original vs newer).  I have more than a few of these kits.  Since you are the first to answer, FordRodnKustom, which would you like me to do?

I might have bitten off a big chunk when I suggested this.  I could actually do THREE comparo articles (stock vs. stock, Pro Stock vs. Pro Stock and original vs newer).  I have more than a few of these kits.  Since you are the first to answer, FordRodnKustom, which would you like me to do?

I'd suggest the Pro Stock v. Pro Stock option because those two kits are still around and somewhat reasonable but I'm also intrigued by the stock option as I don't think I've ever seen the stock versions of those. Your choice! Thanks.

I have a built kit from the early 80's, and it has a different chassis under it. I built it box stock myself so the kit must have changed.

Do you have a picture of the chassis?  I have kits spanning the production, and there have only been 3 chassis available (not counting the drag chassis), the ones in the kit (exhaust molded in and the one shown above) and the one under the promo which has the exhaust and engine molded in.  And the promo chassis has never shown up in a kit.  The one with the exhaust molded in but no engine bottom is from the original stock release done in 1969-71.  As far as I've been able to tell, the option to build a Stock Maverick hasn't been available since it was changed to a Pro Stock version.

Edited by fomocomav
made mistakes

It CAN represent a 1969 1/2 to 1972.  The base model with the emblem in the center, and the Grabber with the two sport lamps.  Interior patterns changed, but not enough to notice, especially since you will have to source your own stock interior.  If you have the original kit that had stock as an option, the I6 is usable in all 3 years, and can represent the 170ci (in 1969.5) and the 200ci.  The 302ci wasn't available till 1971, but the V8 in the kit represents something bigger.  The instruction sheet I have for one of the Stock option kits is dated Dec 10 1969.  Jo-Han meant for it to represent the 1969.5 (early 1970) car.  I know this because there is a trim ring on the stock steering wheel that is NOT on the 1:1 regular 1970 model year Mavericks, only the early '70 cars.

Edited by fomocomav
More info

It CAN represent a 1969 1/2 to 1972.  The base model with the emblem in the center, and the Grabber with the two sport lamps.  Interior patterns changed, but not enough to notice, especially since you will have to source your own stock interior.  If you have the original kit that had stock as an option, the I6 is usable in all 3 years, and can represent the 170ci (in 1969.5) and the 200ci.  The 302ci wasn't available till 1971, but the V8 in the kit represents something bigger.  The instruction sheet I have for one of the Stock option kits is dated Dec 10 1969.  Jo-Han meant for it to represent the 1969.5 (early 1970) car.  I know this because there is a trim ring on the stock steering wheel that is NOT on the 1:1 regular 1970 model year Mavericks, only the early '70 cars.

I am fourtunate enough to have both the Johan Maverick kits, the Stock/Drag car kit (box artwork has a "blue" Maverick) and the  drag car only  kit (box artwork has a "yellow" Maverick). However I never knew what year this kit represented. Many thanks for the insight and the info. The "Blue" box art Maverick certainly does have the stock interior, hood and inline six.

The 302ci wasn't available till 1971, but the V8 in the kit represents something bigger

I never noticed until now but if you look closely at the Stock/Drag Maverick kit (box artwork  has a "blue" Maverick) written in white letters running along the top edge of the passenger side fender is "429 Runnin` Free". Could it be that the V-8 in the Johan kit is representing a big block Ford Boss 429 engine.

Scan.jpeg

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I just noticed on the instruction sheet that it claims it to be a 1970 (only on the Blue Box instructions, above the coupon for replacement parts).  I never had to look for what year it was, because I knew it would work for my purposes, having owned 5 1:1 Mavericks (and one Comet).

And yes, the V8 they include is either a 427 SOHC or a BOSS 429, depending on which valve cover you use, in the "Yellow" box, newer Pro Stock only kits.  The engine in the first issue (Blue Box) only has 429 valve covers, with big old hideous F O R D block letters on them. 

If you look at the grilles on the box covers, they are incorrect for ANY year Maverick, This is on BOTH Yellow and Blue boxes.  And the pictures do not represent the grilles present in the kits.  The Blue one has a Maverick medallion in the center of the grille, and the Yellow box has the sport lamps in the grille.  The one with the medallion was the base model grille through 1972.  The sport lamps grille was the upper-level model/Grabber till 1972, then the the only grille available from 1973-1975.  This is US models information only.  I am not as up on the Brazilian and Mexican Mavericks.

Again, this post has been very insightful and your knowledge of the Maverick is impressive.  A family member owned a tudor `70 Maverick that they would allow me to drive. It had the  200ci inline six, automatic trans, plaid bench seat, air and A.M. radio. It was GREAT on gas, outrageously RELIABLE and the cost of ownership was negotiable.  I have nothing but fond memories of that car...and that`s coming from a Chevy guy.

As far as the 427 SOHC or BOSS 429 displacement being dropped into that  small very light body should have resulted in one hairy ride.

As a Chevy guy I would compare this combinations of light body weight and high horsepower engine to the `69 Yenko 427 Nova.  In fact in one of the last interviews before he passed Don Yenko remarked to a close friend "In retrospect the `69 Yenko 427 Nova probably wasn't the safest car inarrow-10x10.png the world. It was so fast (0-60 in 4 seconds) that in the hands of the inexperienced it was DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS....ALMOST LETHAL”.  And, a 427 SOHC or Boss 429 in the light weight Maverick would be DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS....ALMOST LETHAL.

I am glad you decided to post this topic..it cleared up a lot of things for me...again thanks.

Edited by 69NovaYenko