Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have decided my next build is going to be a rat rod wrecker and the only power plant for a dirty old rat is a 5.9 cummins. After looking around and not finding anything I like I decided I'd make my own. I'm lucky enough to own a 3D printer so after a day of drawing here is the first attempt.  There will be a lot of work to complete it as the 3D printing leaves a rough surface as you can see. No sump yet, run out of time. 

Enjoy guys. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Should you decide to mold these engines, I would buy a couple. I have been looking to make a 4BT Cummins for a Jeep project.  It is a 4 cylinder version of this engine. It is used in delivery vans and is a popular transplant into Jeeps and light trucks and such.

I personally won't be casting these, I have never cast anything, never even attempted it, wouldn't know where to start. This was just a one off for a build but if someone who does good resin casting is interested in doing them then maybe we can get something to happen. I could do a 4bt pretty easily based on this engine. There is still a lot of work to get these up to scratch as the 3d printing leaves a rough surface and the block still needs some detail work to make it more accurate. I have also done a 24V rocker cover to suit just for a bit of difference.

The whole 3D printer thing is probably going to appeal to a certain segment of the hobby but IMHO it will not be a complete revolution.What it could do is create a business opportunity for those with the necessary skills to create and sell programs for printer owners to allow them to order a specific program to print what they want.That way you would not need any computer programing skills to make what you want.

I have at best limited computer skills, certainly no programming skills. There are some quite easy to use programs for simple structures such as this. Small details are lost in the print due to the printer resolution so they need to be added at a later date. This just gives a good base to start from.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...