Model Cars Magazine Forum

As we get older our sight diminishes. Moving up to 1/16th scale might be an answer. Your picks . . .

I agree larger scale needs more detailing, plus all of the flaws are even more visible.

I'd still need optical help for the smaller parts of a larger scale model.

I'm an older type guy and have problems getting away from 1:25.  Plus, the walls at my place are crowded from really big historical wooden sailing ships, not much room for bigger type cars.

I think it's been said... larger scale kits not only allow for more detail, they require more detail!   I had someone give me the Mongram '57 Chevy kit once as a gift.  It looked like a 1/25 scale model that was blown up in size.  I couldn't bring myself to build it.  

Then you get into the display and storage thing.  I have enough problems with housing my 1/25 scale cars and small trucks.  

Third, after so  many years of building 1/24 and 1/25 scale, my brain is just dialed into this scale.  I don't like smaller models or larger models. My sense of scale and proportion is tied to my favorite scale.  The vehicles I like to build and my large parts stash also match.

Third, after so  many years of building 1/24 and 1/25 scale, my brain is just dialed into this scale.  I don't like smaller models or larger models. My sense of scale and proportion is tied to my favorite scale.  The vehicles I like to build and my large parts stash also match.

x2, I've been so dialed into the "normal" scale, just like with HO scale trains, another interest of mine. I constantly pick up bits of interesting trash and flotsam with the goal of model building. "This looks like it could be a bottle for a model car or something..."

Decades ago before I invested in opta-visors I thought moving up in scale might be good. WRONG! You can see more stuff easier, plus the space needed for when there built. I only finished one  and that was the Corvette by MPC shown above. Have Camaro and Corvette started but won't fit in my Paint booth. And several in the box that will make someone happy when I'm gone.

i good magnifier is the answer.  Optivisor is just such instrument (other cheaper ones aren't as good - you get what you paid for).  My eyesight isn't what it used to be 20 years ago and without the Optivisor I would be lost (with models of any scale).  But with the Optivisor I can build some really small models.  But I do have to fess up that on that model I also used my stereo-microscope. ;)

2019Wisniewski.JPG

I am going to echo the sentiments of those who say the failing eyesight is no reason to move up in scale.  The finest detail work I have ever done was a 1:12 scale 935 by Tamiya with the Scale Motorsports super detail set.  Literally hundreds of little bitty part including some nuts and bolt as small at .015".  The larger the scale the more detail you can add but the smallest manageable pieces still remain about the same size. 

Today is my 66th birthday and I have been using an optivisor for twenty years now.   The only thing that has changed it the magnification of the lenses I use.  When I bought my first one, I had 2,5,7,and 10 diopter lenses.   I thought I would use 2 and 5 most of the time.  I felt I had wasted my money buying a 10.  Never thought I would use it.  I now have two visors with the 7 and 10 permanently mounted.  It is the only thing that has kept me building.  By the way, they are usable over reading glasses.  Looks weird but it really gives me all focus I need to do the tiny work. 

Good luck and keep at it!