Model Cars Magazine Forum

V12 Detroit

Dave, that's a real interesting point.  I'll bet it applies as well.

I recently scratch built a small drag race car, only the body was bought.  A resin piece.  I did the frame rails and all the rest according to known dimensions for some areas, the rest from pics.  Amazing thing was, the motor had to sit exactly where the body prescribed,  or the rest of the build would just not jive.  Even the fuel tank mounted in front of the motor had to be built exactly like shown on various real cars, or else it wouldn't work.  Other things as well.

I have the feeling our models and aftermarket parts are fairly exact.

Both the Tyrone Malone Super Boss and Bandag Bandit KW W900 race trucks has 12V-71 engines, they are not exactly the same as the twin turbo arrangement is different on them, they are the only ones I know of, but on the aftermarket there are some available, except for the ones already mentioned I know P & P Resinworks has one because I have bought them from him twice, Melbourne Model Truck Accessories had a couple V12's but I don't think they are in business anymore.

Edited by Force

I think the engine in the Super Boss KW is a marine version and a 12V71TTA (Twin Turbocharged and After-cooled).  I bought some old Hendrix resin cast ones a few years ago and put one in an Autocar and still have 2 left for possible future projects. 

On an 8V71 the exhaust manifolds should be above the frame rails and point towards the rear of the truck.  With a 12V71 as stated the manifolds turn upwards with the outlet at the rear of the engine.  There is a special "U" shaped pipe that bolts to the manifold and converts the exhaust to point downwards.

Hope this makes sense.

05_12.jpg

Trucks at ATHS Convention 046.jpg

I think the engine in the Super Boss KW is a marine version and a 12V71TTA (Twin Turbocharged and After-cooled).

Well that's probably true, but the engines were most likely tweaked and modified some as the one in Super Boss produced around 1000 hp and the one in the Bandag Bandit around 1300 hp. 
He must have liked Detroit Diesels as the Boss Truck Of America also had a 12V-71, The Papa Truck and Hideout Truck had 8V-92T's and the Hurricane had a 6V-92T Tri-Turbo

Edited by Force