Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was your first truck model?

I'm going to date myself here, but my first big truck kit was the phantom AMT tractor and trailer produced in the early '60's.  The model and image shown aren't mine, but this one was a local show last month.  The first regular big rig kit that I built was the 1969 issued IMC kit 118 Dodge L700 tractor.  The funny thing about this is that I didn't build it as a stock tractor, but instead built it as a box van using half of the IMC trailer kit for the box, and Plastruct to lengthen the frame and aluminum tube for the longer prop shaft.  I still have this one after rebuilding it in 1974 to repair damage from a house move.  My absolute oldest truck build was built in 1960 from original AMT kit 125 1925 Ford Model T double kit.  I never glued the turtle deck with spare tire or pickup box onto that kit, so I could swap it out when I played with it.  The picture shown of the car is the 1960 kit, while the roadster pickup is one I built strictly as a pickup around 1970.

A.J.

IMG_0255-vi.jpg

1967 Dodge L700 box van (2).JPG

1925 Ford Model T Roadster Pickup (2).JPG

1925 Ford Model T Roadster  original (1).JPG

1967 Dodge L700 box van (6).JPG

Ive been a car builder for most of my life. Ive had 2 and 3 of seemingly every car kit imaginable. I finally got bit by the truck bug about 2 years ago. I built a K123 and loved every minute of it. Have been buying strictly trucks ever since.....

My first truck kit was the AMT 61 Chevy pickup (which I still have), but the first big truck was the IMC Dodge L700 (which I still have).  I rebuilt the Chevy and I'm going to rebuild the Dodge.  There's no paint on the Dodge,so it will be an easy rebuild.  Dan

my first was the Chevy Titan 90,back in about 1982, my grandfather had started it years before, and i bugged him untill he finally relented and let me 'finish' it. glue bomb city, hand painted everything, and tried to hand paint the cab like the box..........epic fail. no idea where it went. about 30 years later, i build my second 'first' rig, the snap KW, much better result, and a good second launching experience, lol.

Amazingly enough, my first big rig model was some of those 1/43 scale or 1/64 scale models they used to have....I have no idea who made them, but I remember a cabover of some sort and a trailer.....Those were so cool.....Loved playing with them......I then graduated to the Monogram 1/32 scale models.....I used to love those, too, because you could, again, play with them afterwards.....Better to play with on the carpet, though, because I used to twist the parts off, leaving a piece of the tree on the tires.....Made for a bumpy ride.....All of them are long since broken or lost.....Had fun with them, though.....I think I was only 8, so.......

Edited by kilrathy10

Oh, yeah....I also used to build more sci-fi and real space stuff.....I used to love Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers.....Still do, but about 1995 or so, I bought my first Revell/Italeri Ford Aeromax.....I couldn't believe how much better it went together than most AMT models......That one I still have.....From then on I was Hooked.....I was very happy with it....Although my skills have gotten better over the years, I'm still surprised at how good it looked right out of the box......

Really interesting where many of you got your starts.....Great topic, Mike.....

Welcome to the dark side.

Lol. The addiction is bad too. I've never bought many resin and aftermarket parts until the trucks came along. The cars were the gateway drug. The trucks are the hard core junk....

Edited by tonye66

Ok, here are a couple pics of the 61 Chevy.  A before and after.

This what she looked like before I rebuilt her.

This is how she turned out.  I couldn't restore her to her original condition because I almost destroyed her when I was a kid using a knife to strip off the paint.  I almost thru this truck away but thought, well, maybe and I like how she turned out.

I don't have any pics of the Dodge truck.  It is in pieces and in a box to be restored.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

Man,I am definitely new to this compared to you guys! About 5 years ago I came across Tim Ahlborn's old website with pictures of his truck models, and I was blown away! I started doing some research and found this whole world of model trucks and aftermarket parts. So I bought an AMT K123 kit, some spoke wheels, and a set of torsion bar suspension. Perhaps it was a little ambitious for my first build, it did not come out all that great. I loved it though, and continue to get better with each build. It wasn't long before I was casting my own parts and scratch building.

Here is my first ever model:

Just last week I decided to take it all apart and rebuild it, but slightly different. Here is where it stands today. I am hoping it comes out a little better this time.

My first model truck was the White Freightliner single drive cabover that was built largely by my Dad.  The second model truck I had was bought with my pocket money and was an AMT Kenworth K123.  I painted it orange using Testors paints.  I would say it was '74 or '75 that I started building models and, apart from the usual breaks, I have been involved in the hobby ever since.

I worked my way through most of the AMT truck kits and have a few in my stash now to build.  I have two AMT Kenworth K100 Aerodynes that I am looking forward to building as I have always liked that particular truck and I haven't yet built a model of one.  Since I started building again in 2002 I haven't done any trucks and have been mainly doing hot rods and drag racing.  I will be starting a truck project this month as the Big Rig Build Off which has just started on this forum has provided a nice motivator to get back into doing a truck.  I'm just deciding what I am going to build, and the style of the project, before starting my build thread.

I have enjoyed reading people's stories on this topic; it has certainly brought back a few memories about getting into the hobby when I was young.

I built my first semi truck model in 1971. It was the AMT Watkins W925 Kenworth & Watkins refer trailer. The truck & trailer were repainted 2 times back then. I still have both of them in pieces today. One day they will get rebuilt.

The first pickup truck model I built was in 1974 and was Revell's 1956 Ford F100. That model got rebuilt & painted 3 times and I still have it today. I also have purchased the same kit to build like the 2 early versions I built way back when.

1977ish, AMT Movin' On Kenworth. Think I paid around $7- for it from a mom-n-pop hobby store (Herman's Hobbies on Dewey Av).

Paint, decals, and overall construction is what you'd expect (brush lines, crooked stripes and half of the pieces not even taken off the sprue).

But I'd be willing to bet, I logged more (1/25th scale) miles than Will and Sonny did on theirs and had maybe 100 times more adventures with that beast.

, and I know for a fact, there are still some parts from her kicking around the parts bin as well.

For the record, my son and I built two models together (Lindberg snap/promo style Crown Vic police cars), the first one is safely locked up in the man-cave" and the other he's pretty much demolished in any number of high speed pursuits but isn't that what its all about?

Great memories, thanks for sending me back there Mike.

Edited by Brinx

Lol. The addiction is bad too. I've never bought many resin and aftermarket parts until the trucks came along. The cars were the gateway drug. The trucks are the hard core junk....

Tony, you hit the nail on the head! Over 40 years ago, folding card table in my parents living room, faceted Pactra enamel bottles Testors black bristled brushes and black plastic handled knives all around, ripping the cellophane of a White Freightliner Dual drive. Kmart got my three bucks and tax, and I got a model truck jones that has never abated. The wheels and exhaust were over-chromed and wrinkly on one side and almost white on the other, ruined half a dozen of my mothers clothes pins on the *)%@ split cab, but loved every minute of it. Still do!

Thanks to who ever belongs to this model ! 

My FIRST BIG truck was this , but as a N American tractor . Yes, A M T came out with this in 1965 . I had previously written Budd Anderson a couple of years earlier and asked him why this market wasn't being addressed . He did take the time to write back and thought the same thing . As for LIGHT trucks , uh I guess the AMT 1961 Ford F-100 ................... 568edb4b25ebc_AMTs_limited_release_1st_l

Edited by Eshaver