Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

Looking good Dennis and Matthew!

Not sure why but I haven't been able to post anywhere on the site for the past few days from my computer so I'm trying a different computer.

Work is officially under way with mine, things are finally letting up (like last year) got a good hit on it this weekend. Will be posting some progress pictures soon.

I think it bares noting that there are only 38 days left until the end and if I'm not mistaken there's not one officially completed build yet. I know Helix's Corolla was close to done but I don't think he's made it official yet. Not that I have much ground to stand on myself but let's get cracking! It's not every year we make our antics another country's problem. :D

Anyway as for the end game here. I'll be starting a finished build thread on the 10th for everyone to post their finished builds to.  Everyone has until 11:59pm Dec 1st to finish their build. Anyone who completes more than one build will need to select the one they want to be used for voting (1 driver, 1 car). The voting thread will be started Monday Dec 5th, depending on how many entries are completed will determine how the vote will be set up. If we only have enough for 1 group (5 cars) then it'll be one voting thread run for three weeks, winner takes all. If we have more than 5 then we'll do 2 rounds of voting. Round one for 2 weeks to determine the top 5 then another round for 1 week to determine the overall winner.

Edited by TFchronos
errors with the site

Having a ton of trouble posting anything at all, please bare with me while I try to get the rest of this posted. 

The reason I'd like to do it this way is even though the "None of The Above" was a brilliant idea and for the most part a lot voters abided by it there where still quite a few last year that didn't follow and voted for 1 from every group and others that voted in 2 or 3 groups and snubbed the rest. I was cool with folks voting for one in each group (each build deserved each vote they got) but the snubbers skipping some groups got on my nerves so I'd like to avoid that this time around. I don't mind setting up a couple of poll threads if it means that doesn't happen, I want this to be as far as humanly possible for everyone here.

Edited by TFchronos

Unless things change, I'm going to have to call it quits on the F-1. I just don't have the time to work on it. When I do I'm burned out and tired. I just started work and will be jumping into an engine rebuild for my Astro here soon. And I also have school. The F-1 is too far from paint and needs a lot of suspension work yet that I'm not entirely certain how to tackle. I will post up some pictures of where it sits right now. I had big intentions for it, 3D printed parts (I have my own printer that I've been using), scratchbuilt parts, full wiring, etc. I will still finish the truck but it probably won't be before the deadline, unfortunately. There's always next year.

The reason I'd like to do it this way is even though the "None of The Above" was a brilliant idea and for the most part a lot voters abided by it there where still quite a few last year that didn't follow and voted for 1 from every group and others that voted in 2 or 3 groups and snubbed the rest.

In the end I wasn't really disappointed with the results, but the voting process was a disaster. Lesson learned.

38 days :o . That puts things in perspective.

Edited by Lunajammer

I think it bares noting that there are only 38 days left until the end and if I'm not mistaken there's not one officially completed build yet.

I agree with all of the above on voting. Do whatever is fair to everyone.

As for the completed builds that seems to be the case with most theme build offs. The theme will sound good to most folks, but when it comes right down to inspiration, it's another story altogether. I think the sleepers theme was an exception because I know it's something every car guy has dreamed of doing in 1:1 and we've already got plans in our head. For me this year the problem was that as a modeler I try not to repeat myself. So when I started planning the build, I realized that I'd already built this model when I did my Cherry 2000 Mustang. At that point I lost interest. I'm already planning next years model though. :)

This is what i did to the wheel wells. I took my dremel and made them bigger that is all i did to the wheel wells.

photo DSC00211_zps4bu6iiuo.jpg

Some photos the frame extended.

photo DSC00190_zpszbggegsv.jpg

photo DSC00189_zpsgcisdeep.jpg

I have been working on the engine decided to go with a 440.

photo DSC00188_zpsupooduaw.jpg

I had a hard time looking for exhaust headers i found some out of a parts box that fits the engine and will not hit the frame.

photo DSC00193_zpsvd2mzdek.jpg

^ Nice!

Yeah, I have to agree about themes Rob. Even though there's not as many builders with this one it's still a nice change up. I'm happy we went with it. As for next year I've got it narrowed down to 2 candidates. I'll either be doing a Hellcat Challenger or a Ferrari F-50, two more dream cars among many others.   

Long time coming, finally some progress. Work on the front of the body. Expanded the wheel wells a little (might try finding slightly smaller tires so I didn't want to make them too big). Also cut and expanded the front fenders a little. I want a far amount to ground clearance but I don't want it too high either.

14560034_985080881637774_440015092304237

14608731_985080884971107_501418335483318

14753728_985080944971101_154891666679234

14856079_985080971637765_514543824094647

Edited by TFchronos

Lot of good fabricating work going on in this forum.

I did very little fab work other than some parts pieces like the jack and the bumper.

Just a peek at my progress at crunch time. Still finishing up the front bumper and lights. I fabricated a LED light bar but needs some massaging to fit on the drip rail.

Also need to add the side mirrors and other minor details.

Land Cruiser Rear.jpg

350hp.  Is that all Ray?  I'm using an 800ci mountain motor detuned for reliability to a mere 1000hp.

I've already begun forging the unobtanium gearsets for the tranny, transfer box and diffs...

:lol:

BTW Dennis.  When painting the Tamiya 'cruiser watch that mica red plastic.  You might think you've sealed it under your paint but then put down too heavy a coat of clear...
Don't ask me how I know.

I forgot your warning Fred about the clearcoat! I will receive appropriate demerit I'm sure!

Alright folks the completed builds thread is live. Here

Please post your completed builds there. While I will try to keep diligent track of who finishes if you don't post yours there I can't 100% guarantee I wont miss it when assembling the poll thread so please make sure you get them posted. Thanks

Looking foward to seeing what you guys have made. :)

Body work is done on mine, color not so much. Ordered some different tires last week and I'm waiting on them before I start on frame work. Gonna be down to the wire with mine this year.

AussieBall Update Entry #18 - K-5 Blazer

With a very busy summer and little spare time for building, whatever did happen occurred in spurts. Now with the deadline drawing near and the wet soggy conditions outside there's lots of time!! 

The biggest change to the body has been to add flares and carve out the wheel wells for bigger boots. The Jeep Rubicon kit has been a gold mine of parts, in addition to all the other Jeeps in the stash. Ended up using the fender flares reversed, tires with rims and the rock runners for my roof rack sides.

The roof rack attaches to the roll cage thru the fiberglass top and was built using plastastruc, armour mesh, and the rock rails. It incorporates a high mounted plate holder, antenna attachments, tool rack, rear lights, plus all that storage! The rear bumper was scratch built around the 53 Ford pickup bumper with the addition of armour kit hooks and Grandt Line bolts. 

Getting more into the drivetrain now, using the kit's somewhat odd SBC, with a number of changes under the hood. The extreme heat to be encountered called for a custom rad with engine oil cooler below it. In addition an overflow canister and electric fan complete the package. The unit was scratch built around parts box ribbed rad sections adding the framing and hose connections with plastastruc. In addition the dusty road conditions require a cleaner air source for the Holley Double Pumber that is achieved with a snorkel set and sealed air box. Utilizing the custom air cleaner with the spare wheel rim, plus a bit of electronic gizmology the Blazer will ride with a snorkel on the passenger side (ie left side/port). As well the steering gear and brake m/c have been switched to the driver's side.

The Blazer now has its final coat of TS Camel Yellow, ready for polish and detailing, and the undercarriage is slowly acquiring it's running gear. Still a lot of work to get done. Today began plumbing & wiring the engine... More paint to finish on parts. Nearly all chrome bits have been stripped and redone in Alclad. Enjoy the snapshots.

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Jonathan!

Ready to call it a night after getting about two thirds of the distributor wires in. Very thankful for the magnifying lense & light, only way to get photo etch parts into the right spot. Used wire looms with DM distributor kit. Fuel lines are solder wire with crimps. Block has received a black wash on top of Alclad finished. The front water pump and belt assembly with alternator are only mocked up in position for the snapshot. Upper right has the brake m/c mounted to the booster, getting plumbed tomorrow. The headers have received the Tamiya weathering pastels for a heated look. In the foreground is the oil filter mounted to an adapter plate for the remote oil cooler mounted under the rad. It still needs to be painted, oy vey! To the left is the rad assembly with coolant tank mounted on the side. It still needs further paint detail, wiring and plumbing. Haven't mentioned the battery box yet... Then there's the custom oil ventilation plumbing to install too!

G'Day to all AussieBallers!

Misha

image.jpeg