Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth K825 Bullnose -Gone Full Tilt !

This is  what I have found out about the Kenworth numbering system used in the 50's 60's and 70's:521, 821 and 921 is Single Drive Spring, Torsion or Air Ride Suspensions.
522, K122 and W922 is "Monkey Motion" Tag Axle or other Tag setup Suspensions.
523, K123 and W923 is Dual Drive Walking Beam (Timken or Hendrickson) or Air Ride Suspensions.
524, K124 and W924 is Dual Drive Larger Capacity Timken or Big Six suspensions.
525, 825, K125 and W925 is Dual Drive Torsion Bar suspension.

I found this information on the ATHS Forums a while ago.

Thanks very much for this info. 

Nice looking Old-school West Coast Truck.  I like it.

I'm not totally sure, but maybe Kenworth used the 500 series for gasoline powered trucks & the 800 series for diesel power trucks.  Sounds reasonable, but it's just speculation.  I've noticed that they used 500 & 800- series for both the Bullnose COE & the conventional.  It doesn't look like they changed the designations until they made the 900-Series conventional in the 1956 & the K100 Series COE in 1963.  The W900-Series (for Wide Hood) debuted in 1962.  The flat-faced COEs were called the 500-Series as well prior the the K100 introduction.

That is a great idea for backdating the wheels. As you said they can make or break the truck.

What will you use to replace the lugs ? Do they make a plastic stock in that shape ans size ?

Thanks guys. Ive been wanting to do this to some of these wheels for awhile. The real split rim Alcoas never had that protruded ring on them. 

Sean, my plan was to use some hex rod and "round nose" it to look like the classic old lug covers. I havent figured out what size yet. Im sure I have some old lug covers laying around the shop. I have most of the hex rod sizes, so it shouldnt be a problem. 

I dont have much to show at the moment, just a lot of sanding parts, etc. What I can show you, is that I decided to give ol GuitarSam a run for his money. Im opening the doors! Im also going to open up a few other panels. 

This cab is not the best quality, and most of this trim will be redone. Most of the panel lines arent straight, so they will be re-scribed. I decided that this truck had a tilt conversion done to the cab in the late 70's. Thats also when it was stretched. I want to able to tilt the cab, so thats the story.

I dont have much to show at the moment, just a lot of sanding parts, etc. What I can show you, is that I decided to give ol GuitarSam a run for his money. Im opening the doors! Im also going to open up a few other panels. 

Haa haa! Bring it man! Lol! Glad to see you're goin for it. The biggest challenge for me will be detailing the door panels. 

This one is going to be nice! Great Work!!

If I may ask, what did you use to cut open the doors? I usually use the backside of a hobby knife on styrene, but with the thickness of resin, I haven't tried. I was going to leave the doors alone on my H model, but if you and Sam are opening doors, I might have to reconsider and get with the program (LOL). My doors won't be suicide though.

I'm looking forward to seeing more Terry.

I've had limited experience with resin. Was it hard to cut the doors out?

This one is going to be nice! Great Work!!

If I may ask, what did you use to cut open the doors? I usually use the backside of a hobby knife on styrene, but with the thickness of resin, I haven't tried. I was going to leave the doors alone on my H model, but if you and Sam are opening doors, I might have to reconsider and get with the program (LOL). My doors won't be suicide though.

I used a scribe tool to cut the doors out. I will end up making new doors from styrene, because these arent in the best of shape(not from cutting them out,just the way they were cast). Cutting them out from resin is a little less "consistent" than styrene. What I mean by that is some parts of the resin are thicker than others. Also there might be internal air bubbles in the resin that might make your cutting tool go astray. Other than that, its no different. 

I haven't hacked my doors open yet, but i have cut the hood apart from the rad, etc and it seemed easier to cut than the styrene! I could be hallucinating though...

The resin that Dave uses cuts like butter. Thats stuff is great to work with. Im not surprised that it went easy. The resin my cab was cast in is harder and a little more brittle.