Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 SD 421Tempest

johnwitzke

MCW Resin has available 1963 Tempest that can be built into the Super Stock SD 421 cars.  I purchase a couple of these kits and found them to be nicely done.  The versions that I will be building is Mickey Thompson's Yorktown Blue prototype.  This Tempest coupe has markings 755 AF/X on the doors and was driven by KS Pittman and Bill Shrewsberry.  Second version, although not a factory SD421 car, but built with factory support was Arlen Vanke's Marimba Red "Running Bear" sponsored by Bill Knafel's Anderson Pontiac.  The M/T car required modification to the rear glass, as the base Tempest had a larger rear window than the LeMans version.  I have nearly completed the rear window, all that is left is the moldings.  That said, the Vanke car, a base Tempest had the smaller LeMans rear window.      

SD 421 Tempest Prototype.jpg

755-mickey-thompson-1963-tempest.jpg

Vanke tempest 421 SD.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

This is very interesting as I think that '63 Tempest is probably the best looking Pontiac ever made and to be honest I've considered ordering that kit from MCW too, as I need to get a couple of their Chevy IIs. These will be very interesting projects so I'll be watching closely!

That looks nice..!   Its the same car I have from my dads old collection but mine is a factory stock....once I find the needed parts to restore it the plan is to have the slant 4cyl engine in it.

If anyone used the AMT AWB kit for the chassis and has no use for the rest please let me know.

Edited by disabled modeler

It's a Pontiac...you've got my attention. One question though...does the kit come with the engine and transmission? If I'm not mistaken, in '63, the transmission was located in the rear creating an IRS and had a torque tube between the engine and tranny...like the latest couple/few generations of Corvette's. I went on the MCW site and there are no pictures. I'm just curious about that. 

It's a Pontiac...you've got my attention. One question though...does the kit come with the engine and transmission? If I'm not mistaken, in '63, the transmission was located in the rear creating an IRS and had a torque tube between the engine and tranny...like the latest couple/few generations of Corvette's. I went on the MCW site and there are no pictures. I'm just curious about that. 

Andy....  Yes they had a transaxle and torque tube in them....a friend of mine has a wagon with a 428ci  ? SD in one hes building a drag car out of it.  many had slant 4cyls in them which was 1/2 of a Pontiac 389ci basically so they were pretty easy swaps for a bigger engine.

Edited by disabled modeler

Thanks John.  I might look into that kit.   I'm from Akron and remember the Knafel cars.  That's why I'm building some of their cars that ran back in the day.  I also built a 2004 GTO as a what if if they were still in business and running drag cars.  I'm looking forward to your build.  Dan

Andy....  Yes they had a transaxle and torque tube in them....a friend of mine has a wagon with a 428ci  ? SD in one hes building a drag car out of it.  many had slant 4cyls in them which was 1/2 of a Pontiac 389ci basically so they were pretty easy swaps for a bigger engine.

But of course (for anyone who may not be familiar with the FX cars built on this platform) the '62 "factory experimental" versions were fitted with big Poncho live rear axles and conventional driveshafts...and considerable structural surgery was required to make it all happen. Some '63 FX cars were built with a highly modified IRS trasnsaxle, turned into a 4-speed auto box by Pontiac engineers, but ultimately, reliability problems (short ring and pinion life) nixed the idea and most of the '63 SD cars were subsequently modified to use the big solid axle too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It is a complete kit with the SD 421 engine, although I may use a different SD 421.  This is basically a resin of the original 1963 AMT kit.   Like all resins there is a fair amount of clean up but I think it will build into a really nice model.   Yes the torque tube is there on the chassis. 

Andy, I am a Pontiac guy so the Super Duty 421 cars are a natural for me. I have three 1963 Super Duty Tempest, Vanke's Anderson Pontiac, Mickey Thompson's prototype, and Beswick's wagon.  I have two 1963 Super Duty Catalina's, Arlen Vanke's Swiss Cheese hardtop, and Edwards Pontiac 2 dr. sedan.  For 1962 I have M/T Super Duty Tempest, Don Gay's Catalina 2 dr. sedan, Beswick's Catalina HT. , Barry Pontiac (Jesse Tyree) HT and Packer Pontiac HT.  I may buy two more 1963 Tempest, the white Mickey Thompson  coupe (749 A/FX), and another wagon. I have the correct decals for all of these cars. 

Dan, I know that Dave at MCW is limited on the number of decals that he has. You might check.   The Knafel cars were cool and won a ton of races.    

Edited by johnwitzke

Thanks John.  I have a friend who lives in the Akron area and he used to work on the "Tin Indians" of Knafel Pontiac.  I like your list of Pontiac's.  I'm thinking of getting the 62 2dr sedan to build Royal Pontiac's Catalina.  I have the decals for this car.  Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Update........ I will be bring updates throughout 2016 as each of the 6 LeMans 421 SD coupes and the two prototypes, along with Vanke's car will be built.  Additionally, work will begin on 5 of the 6 Tempest 421 SD wagons.  The sixth wagon, the only wagon that survives today and was delivered through Union Park Pontiac.  Unfortunately this cars racing history is not as deep as the other five.  I plan on making a plain white wagon to represent the Union Park delivered car.   .....More to come   

More to come, sounds good to me. I can't wait to see more of this and all the others. I have always wanted to get some stuff from MCW but money is always tight. His prices are very reasonable so maybe some day, but until then the next best thing is to follow this post. Thanks and I can't wait to see more.        Jeff 

Decal update.  For the coupes, I have the M/T 749 car, Arnie Beswick's car, the #50 nascar driven by Paul Goldsmith, recently acquired custom made sets of the Stan Long Pontiac driven by Stan Antlocer and George Delorean's Wynn Engineering car.  I am having the Superior Pontiac decal custom made as well.  That will give me all the coupes.

For the wagons, I have Beswick's car, Arlen Vanke's "Papoose One" Anderson Pontiac car, and having the Al Hodges Pontiac, Van Winkle Pontiac and Royal Pontiac cars custom made.  That will give me 5 of the 6 wagons.  The 6th wagon was originally delivered to Union Park Pontiac (only wagon that has been accounted for) but sold off to a private racer with no sponsorship. 

Having to wait for warmer weather to do some painting!! 

Stan Long Pontiac Tempest.png

397911.jpg

1963_Pontiac_TempestCoupe421SuperDuty1.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the first of the six 1963 Tempest 421SD wagons.  The first three will be Beswick's car, Vanke Anderson Pontiac, and Royal cars.  This one will be Beswicks Mrs. "B's" Grocery Getter.  Van Winkle Pontiac and Al Hodges Pontiac cars to follow.   

Tempest 421SD Beswick.JPG

Anderson Pontiac .jpg

history03_full.jpg

RoyalWagon2.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke