Model Cars Magazine Forum

ZZ Top I Gotsta Get Paid Truck

I'm wanting to replicate the Truck from this video.

I know that it is a 34 Ford and that it was built by Jimmy Shine of So-Cal Speed Shop. What I would like to know is are there any kits with wheels of that type? What about kits with Navarro Heads? I would prefer not to go aftermarket because I don't have a credit card. Thanks in advance

This one ??

75155fff5be7e761de8b304e122ed4a9.jpg

No Navarro heads in any kit I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. Those wheels are close to the correct definition of "artillery wheels", but again, in that diameter (looks like around 18" to me), there's nothing in any kits I know of.

Thanks Ace. I kinda figured that. I may just settle for the Edelbrock heads from the Revell 37 Pickup. For wheels I think there is an earlier version where the truck has stock-style wires. 

I know you said you don't want to go aftermarket parts, but I KNOW Replicas and Miniatures has the S.C.o.T. blower, other finned heads, and I seem to recall he also has some tallish artillery wheels specifically aimed at the rat market.

Modelhaus lists 18" artillery wheels too, I believe. (edit: #T-640   Bernard Kron photo)     DSCF3015-web.jpg

And I THINK these are Modelhaus generic 15" artillery wheels. Too many spokes, but in an 18" sleeve, they could look good...

IMG_6672.jpg

A pretty decent S.C.o.T.-looking blower is in the old AMT '57 Chevy kits. It doesn't have enough fins, but it looks pretty good.

These Shine truck wheels started life as '32 Studebaker, by the way...

33357580001_large.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Navarro heads are in the revell 48 ford custom kit iirc. Could probably use most of that kits engine anyway.

The 37 ford pickup has 2 different stock wheels in it. One set might get you close to what you need.

Edited by timc

Ace, the blower from the 57 is what planned to use. I always wondered what those wheels were from. I didn't know if they were some kind of aftermarket or custom built. The more I look at those wheels though, I feel like I could maybe scratch build them. 

Tim, I'll have to checkout that 48. I have the 37 and neither of the wheels are close.

Bruce, I may go that direction. I could them temporarily  if nothing else. And lol about the truck's placement.

• 2 weeks later...