Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gas prices... how low will they go?

Harry P.

Nobody can predict where oil prices will go. It's such a complex equation... supply and demand, middle east conflicts, countries ramping up or slowing down production, and the ultimate wild card... emotion. There is no real logic to oil prices, because if there was, the price wouldn't go from $110 a barrel a year ago to $30 a barrel today. It's all speculation, emotion, and a guessing game. Just like the stock market. A huge financial behemoth built on... nothing.

Like today. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Venezuela are cutting back oil production to increase prices.

We've been going up again lately, the BP I've been buying from is currently at $1.74 for regular.  There is a new Speedway opened up today not far from work or home too, and they have a somewhat different pump than any other gas station in the area, and not only are all 10 pump assemblies (meaning 20 cars at a time) set up to have Gas, Diesel, and E85, they also have 5 big truck diesel pumps out back and all but one has Diesel Emissions Fluid available at the pumps too! 

Didn't shoot the Big Truck pumps, but this is what the car and light truck pumps look like.

Even though the spread sucks right now, looks like my 200 may have to fall off the wagon and start boozing it up again :P

• 3 weeks later...

During the week my wife stops at a local gas station chain to pick up bread,milk,soda pop and cigarettes instead of the grocery store that is a lot farther away from home. This chain of stations -Wesco- gives reward points for such items on a rewards card  towards the price per gallon , 20 gallon limit

59.9 a gallon :)

Speedway does stuff like that if you have one of their cards and use it, I'm currently eligible to get upwards of $.50 a gallon off on my next fuel purchase (it's good on all grades of Gas, as well as Diesel and E85).  I'm thinking I might save the points to see how far I can get, maybe get a gas gift card out of it.

I am doing my taxes so I downloaded my entire year's checking account (where I use a debit card for purchases) into a spread sheet.  I've done sorts for all categories of spending and I saw a few interesting things....

2/20/2015   EAST COAST EXTON EXTON PA 30.62
12/17/2015   EAST COAST EXTON EXTON PA 21.36

That about says it all!

I was setting my taxes up and noticed that the IRS reduced the mileage deduction this year.  THe rate for 2015 was 57.5 cents a mile.  For 2016 it's  54 cents a mile!  No doubt because of fuel cost.  

I do see companies still trying to add a fuel surcharge to their bills.