Model Cars Magazine Forum

´55 Chevy

StefanH.

Such a clean build! Just curious, what brand of automotive lacquer did you use?

Jan, I actually don´t know... My local body painter cleaned up his shop a couple of years ago from all those old non-waterbased paints. So I grabbed a trunkload of that old stinky stuff and stored it at my place;)

The paints are from different manufactures, sorry.

Very cool '55 and beautiful paint job. I'm working on a convertible right now. By the way, how's that W124 running?

It is running great! It´s a ´92 230E (they did not sold that model in the US) with automatic tranny. It has a 2300cc four with 136hp and now approx.180000km´s.

I bought it last year for 1000 Euros from a farmer, it was his grandma´s car and he stored it for almost 4 years in a cow barn. And that´s what it was looking like...;). But the overall condition was/is good, especially the full red interior, which is very rare.

Drove it directly to the german TÜV for general inspection (its the law here) and it passed with no shortcomings, except for some rustholes in the typicaI W124 areas which I had to weld. But I knew that before.

It is a great car, very reliable and fun to drive!

Do you drive a W124 as well?

Edited by StefanH.

• 2 weeks later...

Not currently. I had a 1988 300TE wagon for about 7 years until I sold it last year. It was a great car for it's age. Got me hooked on the brand. I now drive a W210 '96 E320, W208 2001 CLK430 (wife's), W163 2002 ML500 (daughter's) which replaced her W202 1999 C280 that was totaled and another daughter recently traded her 96 C280 for a beemer.

Obviously I'm a little Benz crazy but I just love them. For older cars they're still comfortable, fast, safe and IMHO look good. I usually DIY any issues that come up.

Part of my current job is driving late model cars mostly American and Asian brands. At the end of each day I feel like none of those newer cars come close to the level of comfort and responsiveness of my old Mercs.

A lot of people think MB's are expensive to maintain but if you're handy with a wrench and know where to get parts, they're no more expensive than any other used car. They say "The best or nothing". Even if it's a beater, it's the best beater.