Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anybody make a '68 Impala kit

AMT did a '68 Impala but as they'd lost the Chevy promo contract that year, it--like their Camaro and Corvette kits--was more of a custom/caricature than a scale replica.

MPC did the '68 Impala in both hardtop and convertible styles. I think repro parts from these might be available from Modelhaus, and could be used on a common AMT '67 hardtop to do a passable '68.

Got mine on one of the buy/sell groups on Facebook,one complete builder and one damaged junk body + hidden headlight grill for $50.

I`m doing a conversion with the junk body,using the later AMT 67. For a mint complete kit expect to empty your pockets. As for my 

part i mostly hoard parts,and in the end i usually end up with complete kits lol. Point is,if you want one priced at non crazy amounts

there are other arenas to search then Ebay. One is in progress so looks awful on the pic.

11207275_10153682272795833_7959438801527977319_n.jpg

12191024_10153682272985833_6464839340966587468_n.jpg

Edited by om617

68impalaht.jpg

2nd68impalaht.jpg

Here's another option...reasonably priced, nice quality!

http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/resin/resinlist.html

IMP-68   1968 Chev. Impala SS Ht. (1/25th scale)  $40.00
      (stock body, hood, interior & seats, grill & bumpers, & wheel covers)
      (use AMT '67 Impala Ht. kit for all other parts needed.)

68bis2dr.jpg

2nd68bis2dr.jpg

BIS-68   1968 Chev. Biscayne 2dr. Sedan (1/25th scale)  $40.00
      (stock body, hood, interior & seats, grill & bumpers, wheels & vac. rear glass)

Edited by jeffs396

Don't give up yet. Good buys sometimes still happen.

I went to a crappy local flea market a few years ago with some friends. Didn't expect fo find anything model related at all but came across a box of stuff almost as I entered the building. 

This were in it,,

100 0368

100 0367

Also this original AMT '70 Monte Carlo annual,,

100 0362

Plus a couple other things ,, all for 5 bucks.

Been working on the Impala off and on and it looks like this now,,

IMG 1464

Wow can - con, nice job on the impala!!! Can't believe it's the same car as the first picture. You my friend have talent. Again, Wow. Thanks for showing that one as I am definitely a believer that just about anything can be restored.      Jeff 

http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/resin/resinlist.html

IMP-68   1968 Chev. Impala SS Ht. (1/25th scale)  $40.00
      (stock body, hood, interior & seats, grill & bumpers, & wheel covers)

68bis2dr.jpg

2nd68bis2dr.jpg

BIS-68   1968 Chev. Biscayne 2dr. Sedan (1/25th scale)  $40.00
      (stock body, hood, interior & seats, grill & bumpers, wheels & vac. rear glass)

I'd get and build one of these, but the roof looks more like a '65-'66 2DS top than a '67-'68. Somewhere I've seen at least one modeler turn the AMT '67 into a 4 door hardtop or sedan (same roof shape) using a modified roof from a first-gen Camaro, and I think that would be the way to go. Someday I hope to do my own '67 2DS that way.

Can-Con, since you obviously have both the old MPC and the "new" AMT '67 models handy, could you tell us if it looks like the MPC front and rear bumpers (and grille) would come close to fitting the AMT body? Theoretically they should but you know how these things go--and I know that the MPC '68 Camaro body is much narrower than the AMT '67-'68 Camaro body, for example.