Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chrysler 300, Update, 5/1, DONE!!

StevenGuthmiller

This one I can't wait to get started on.

This was one of about a half dozen true holy grails for me!

The '66 is my all time favorite Chrysler body style.

The planned color will be correct "Spanish Red".

See you in a couple of months! :P

Steve

photo DSCN4930_zpsgru9v4gk.jpg photo DSCN4931_zpsdvupdmab.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

How about some input guys.

I'm planning on the "Spanish Red" for the body.

What does everyone think about a white top?

Yes, or no.

I'm not a vinyl top guy, & most of the '66 Chryslers that I'm seeing with contrasting tops are vinyl, although I am seeing some with painted tops as well.

I was originally leaning towards doing a white top, but am starting to re-think that option.

Steve

Yes, or no.

I'm not a vinyl top guy, & most of the '66 Chryslers that I'm seeing with contrasting tops are vinyl, although I am seeing some with painted tops as well.

I was originally leaning towards doing a white top, but am starting to re-think that option.

Steve

I think the white top would be striking. 

An interesting option for the interior was a metallic-finish red leather. That would make a lovely car.

Another nice option would be a representation of the tan vinyl interior. 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1966_Chrysler/1966_Chrysler_Brochure/1966 Chrysler-08-09.html

Charlie Larkin

Cant wait to see this one started. 

As for color taste is very subjective. I kinda dig the very light green metallic of this year,maby a more common color

on the lesser models like the Newport. This in combination of white or black top/interior and maby magnums will look very

nice. Not a fan of solid colors on full size cars,of coarse with your finish and build quality it might change. 

Close or similar to this color. 

6889_10153786674985833_291387237762378852_n.jpg

Yes, or no.

Steve

I think the white top would be ok, you could go with white (looks really good) or some kind of red like Charlie mentions for the interior. Are you set on having a different color for the top?  

NOW, we're talking. Love these body style 300's. ( I have a 68 in my very very short to do  list )

Spanish Red with red (  or white ) interior would look pretty nice as well. The interiors on  these cars have a slight pearl tint to them. And look amazing in person

And I vote no on the vinyl top. I think it takes away from the lines of the car .

Yes, or no.

Steve

The vinyl top was vary common extra cost option on almost everything in that era. With the chrome on this model I think I would have the top match the body, that way it doesn't detract from the beautiful lines of the car. The idea of the interior in a similar red color would add a richness that you might not get with a lighter color. You might try and simulate a cloth interior. Chrysler offered some beautiful color combinations at that time, with a little looking around you might find something you didn't even think they offered.     

I think the white top would be striking. 

An interesting option for the interior was a metallic-finish red leather. That would make a lovely car.

Another nice option would be a representation of the tan vinyl interior. 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1966_Chrysler/1966_Chrysler_Brochure/1966 Chrysler-08-09.html

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie.

I had decided quite a while ago that I wanted to do the black & white interior, which is why I was questioning the white top.

I'm thinking it will be a bit "too much" with the white interior.

I'm beginning to lean all red with this interior.

Steve

FL12_r454_02.jpg

Cant wait to see this one started. 

As for color taste is very subjective. I kinda dig the very light green metallic of this year,maby a more common color

on the lesser models like the Newport. This in combination of white or black top/interior and maby magnums will look very

nice. Not a fan of solid colors on full size cars,of coarse with your finish and build quality it might change. 

Close or similar to this color. 

6889_10153786674985833_291387237762378852_n.jpg

I love those colors too Tommy!

As a matter of fact, I'm planning on colors close to this for a '68 Chrysler 300 & a '69 Coronet.

Steve

NOW, we're talking. Love these body style 300's. ( I have a 68 in my very very short to do  list )

Spanish Red with red (  or white ) interior would look pretty nice as well. The interiors on  these cars have a slight pearl tint to them. And look amazing in person

And I vote no on the vinyl top. I think it takes away from the lines of the car .

No vinyl for me Bill!

At least not on this one.

I've never been crazy about vinyl tops.

Steve

The vinyl top was vary common extra cost option on almost everything in that era. With the chrome on this model I think I would have the top match the body, that way it doesn't detract from the beautiful lines of the car. The idea of the interior in a similar red color would add a richness that you might not get with a lighter color. You might try and simulate a cloth interior. Chrysler offered some beautiful color combinations at that time, with a little looking around you might find something you didn't even think they offered.     

I've barely begun tho research this project David.

But I will surely look around a bit.

I could be wrong but I've always assumed that the interiors in the 300s were only available in vinyl.

At least that's all I've ever seen.

Steve

I've barely begun tho research this project David.

But I will surely look around a bit.

I could be wrong but I've always assumed that the interiors in the 300s were only available in vinyl.

At least that's all I've ever seen.

Steve

Almost correct. No cloth interior avail in a 300. BUT there was a leather interior avail.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1966ChryslerColorAndTrim-03.shtml

Yes, or no.

Steve

Steve, the red would be great on this car, but that is a very elegant looking car, IMO the white top would be too much of a contrast. If you prefer a two tone, maybe consider a black top.

Steve, the red would be great on this car, but that is a very elegant looking car, IMO the white top would be too much of a contrast. If you prefer a two tone, maybe consider a black top.

Love that body style... so classy looking!

I'd opt for a red top with the black and white interior, if it were mine. :)

The red top is probably where I'm heading.

The dark red with a black top just wouldn't look 1966 to me. :P

Steve