Model Cars Magazine Forum

The patina/rust thing

A late thought to this topic. Though I'm pretty much okay with most of it, I finally found my photo that illustrates where I draw the line to the whole patina thing. This was a gorgeous 55 Buick wagon that sat at a classic car dealer for a few months. Someone finally bought it, sanded the gorgeous paint in a ridiculous random wear pattern, clearcoated it, added custom wheels and boasted about what trendy rod he had. :angry::(.

The one trend I can't stand has to do with rat rods, though not the ones you're probably thinking of. Do this, go to Craigslist and search for "rat rod". Notice how most vehicles are either pre war cars with rust, cars sitting in a field titled "rat rod project", or simply any vehicle painted matte black.

Who knew that fiberglass can rust???!!! :lol:

The same silly thing happens in airplane modeling, where builders think aluminum can somehow rust, or smokeless guns can leave black-powder stains. Or better yet, show bare metal scrapes, dings and rivets on airplanes made mainly of wood.

The same silly thing happens in airplane modeling, where builders think aluminum can somehow rust, or smokeless guns can leave black-powder stains. Or better yet, show bare metal scrapes, dings and rivets on airplanes made mainly of wood.

Oh come now Mr Joy. You must know that we military modelers strive to emulate the "masters". Those eccentric folks in far away lands who get published in prestigious magazines are the heroes of the day .

Rusty aluminum? Well so and so from England did it.

Burnt powder streaks on wings and soot on muzzle brakes. Well that was featured in XYZ Mil-model magazine. 

Chipped paint, everywhere? Can be quite convincing when used in context. But not errwhere on errdamhing.

;)

G