Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Murcielago LP670-4 SV (aka What Did I Do Wrong?)

heptoman

Hey everyone, so I've been quiet on the forums but I've been working nonetheless.  Just haven't been paying attention to documenting progress.  The GTO (Dad's present) is finally 98% finished and on display at the ranch.  I just need to go fix some small things and add some details and update pics.  It turned out pretty decent, I think.  The Mustang is also finished, I'll probably get some pics tomorrow and update.

ANYWAY, here's the latest project:

photo aoshima.jpg

Things have gone great so far, here are some progress pics:

photo WP_20160321_011.jpg

photo WP_20160321_014.jpg

The instructions call for field grey as the interior.  It's ghastly, more green than grey.  So I made up my own color combo, the tried and true AS-27 from my 'stang, black, and the carbon fibre.  I like it.

photo WP_20160321_012.jpg

photo WP_20160321_013.jpg

Then, as usual with my projects, disaster struck.

I'll save that for later.  Bedtime.

Hey guys, I'm sorry to leave you hanging.  It's not something as bad as the a pillars snapping, but being a perfectionist, anything is a disaster, especially when I worked so hard on it.  I promise I'll update this later this morning with the body issues.

Okay, here we go.  I decided to paint the body Lamborghini Azzurro Thetis, a very beautiful silvery blue.  To achieve this, I mixed a 1:1 ratio of Tamiya X-11 (Chrome Silver) and X-14 (Sky Blue) and it turned out very nice.  I diluted it to 1:3 with Tamiya thinner for my airbrush.  I was able to get a nice looking three base coats, wet sanding in between.

I wish I had taken pictures before I clear-coated it!  It was so great.  It was more of a matte than gloss finish, but I was counting on the clear coat to bring out the shine, which has worked for me before.

Anyway, I used Gunze Super Clear Gloss and came out with the most disappointing results (more disappointing than my BRZ from a couple years ago).

Here are the pics:

photo WP_20160321_005.jpg

That's no play on the eyes.  On the passenger side of the hood (bonnet) the paint is now uneven.  Here's another angle.

photo WP_20160321_007.jpg

Side view.  This is what everything else should look like:

photo WP_20160321_004.jpg

It happened on the back side as well.  The lighter spots are not from flash or ambient light.

photo WP_20160321_008.jpg

So your assessment: what did I do wrong?  Again - the base coats were even, wetsanded.  I prepped well, let the bases cure for almost three days.

I am sorry for the critique, but this is no azuro thetis, so I would just get the right color and respray it anyway. Also I have never seen a Lambo with the dash cut this way by two colors. 

I am sorry for the critique, but this is no azuro thetis, so I would just get the right color and respray it anyway. Also I have never seen a Lambo with the dash cut this way by two colors. 

I've seen LOTS of cars on this forum that don't have stock interior coloring.  Why is this any different?  My model, my decision.

I'm not asking for critique of paint color, I'm asking for critique of TECHNIQUE and SKILL.

I've had this happen a couple of times -- it's when the clear coat dissolves the base coat enough to free up the metallic flakes to move. so they cluster, and also don't have the random distribution of orientation that makes for a homogeneous "sparkle". There's not a lot you can do except respray. For future reference, you can either lay down more mist coats than usual, making sure each has dried before doing the next, so that when you get to the wet coat stage all that's immediately underneath the thicker layer of clear is more clear. Or you can can spray your base coat, and follow up with several coats of mixed base and clear, steadily increasing the proportion of clear until you get to pure clear. Of course, that only works if you're using compatible products (eg Tamiya TS spray and TS-13 clear).

Good luck!

bestest,

M.

Matt, Kenny, Tim, Gergo, thanks for the comments, all helpful.

Matt, yours makes the most sense.  That's a lot of coats for the body, but I'm willing to try.  I assume I would have to decant any TS spray in order to mix, and then feed through my airbrush?  Woops, never mind, just saw X-22 on the Tamiya website!

Edited by heptoman

Certainly with the Tamiya "hot" acrylics (TS and AS sprays) they go on shrinking and curing for several days after they appear to be touch dry. They recommend (or at least the expert painter who wrote the notes on the Tamiya USA site/blog does) that you don't need a "wet coat". Just keep laying down light coats (very light at first -- "spatter" coats, he calls them) and build up the density slowly. The early light coats stop the paint "drawing back" from around details and panel lines, which it is prone to do if it is too liquid. Even if it looks like the surface is slightly orange peeled when you finish painting, after a few days in a warm airing cupboard or a few hours in the food dryer, it will have disappeared as the paint shrinks back into one consolidated layer.

bestest,

M.

This paint effect can also happen when the colors are not completely mixed. The metallic particles will slowly settle in the airbrush cup/bottle. You have to keep mixing the paint to keep the particles fully suspended.

Best to use a high speed mixer like the battery operated Badger Paint Mixer. Give it a good mix right before every coat.

I've had this happen on one of my builds.

Danger

This paint effect can also happen when the colors are not completely mixed. The metallic particles will slowly settle in the airbrush cup/bottle. You have to keep mixing the paint to keep the particles fully suspended.

Best to use a high speed mixer like the battery operated Badger Paint Mixer. Give it a good mix right before every coat.

I've had this happen on one of my builds.

Danger

Gunze Super Clear is hotter than Tamiya TS13 and I've also had it react badly with the underlying colour coats - although in my case these were Zero acrylics. 

I have three cans of it that I'm now scared to use.

Blimey... if it messes with Zero basecoats, it must be powerful stuff indeed. Makes you wonder what it's intended to be used over!

bestest,

M.

All good info!  Guess I'll have to take this into consideration.  Lesson learned - brand "loyalty."  :)