Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adhesive for Repairing 1968 MPC Promo with Styrene ?

I picked up an original 1968 promo car that is wounded. I want to fix it with some good old styrene. What kinda adhesive will bond well to both materials? I've tried some 2-part 24hr epoxy before - didn't work very well. Someone with first-hand experience, please. Thank You

So the promo isn't made from styrene? What's it made from?

MPC promo's were all made in ABS plastic (as were AMT promo's from about 1962-onward, JoHan from (I believe) 1963.  While ABS can be glued to ABS with liquid cements (they did that at the factory in promo-production frequently!), ABS doesn't bond well with polystyrene this way.  CA glue would be a very good, and fairly reliable alternative.

Art

MPC promo's were all made in ABS plastic (as were AMT promo's from about 1962-onward, JoHan from (I believe) 1963.  While ABS can be glued to ABS with liquid cements (they did that at the factory in promo-production frequently!), ABS doesn't bond well with polystyrene this way.  CA glue would be a very good, and fairly reliable alternative.

Art

Good to know. I'm about to repair a '68 Barracuda with a broken windshield post. Gonna splice in one from a '69 kit body with a bad roof. Will keep this in mind and run some tests before I commit with rare parts. Thanks, Art!

ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is a type of styrene-based plastic fairly similar to Polystyrene (which modelers coloquialy call "Styrene").  ABS is also sometimes used for more recent plastic model kits. Both types of plastic can be welded using solvent cements used by modelers (even though the instructions on the bottle do not specifically say that).  If you want a specific solvent which mentions that it can bond both ABS and Polystyrene then use Plastic Weld from Plastruct.

Of course CA glue will also work well on both of those types of styrene.