Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Packin' Pacer

DerthDeboblo

I'll start off by saying this:

-Expect mistakes:wacko:

-Expect frustrating lengths of time between updates:mellow:

-Expect mediocre quality as I hone the "skills" I have:D

With that out of the way, I know introduce you to my first (and soon to be most challenging ) project in a long time.....The Packin' Pacer. The story and idea behind this is built on another favorite line of cars from kids to adults alike......Hot Wheels. The Packin' Pacer is a Hot Wheels designed AMC Pacer wagon. Powered by what looks like a blown engine, it is a rear mounted setup. The header collectors exiting out where the rear hatch glass was. I've always loved this model from Hot Wheels, and AMC Pacers in general. So when I came across one on here from DrKerry, I jumped on it. This will be my first build of this scale I've ever taken on (I've normally only built box stock, and that was when I was a teen, 36 soon). I've never scratch built an entire chassis, which by all accounts I'm going to have to do. My basic plans so far are these....

-Blown Hemi sourced from some kit (AMT '70 Super Bee Pro Street most likely)

-Full custom built frame (I need more Evergreen)

Not much to go on huh? Yeah, like most things in life, I'll figure it out as I go. Thanks for looking, and feel free to drop any hints/tricks/criticisms/insults/etc.:lol:  

20160327_000907_zpsj9zmbsz5.jpg

Edited by DerthDeboblo

We all  had to start at one point! Take your time and as the old saying goes  , measure twice ,,cut once!! I'll be watching.Should be an  interesting build.

I prefer the "Eyeball it, cut, cuss a lot, measure, cut it wrong again" method, it's so much more satisfying when you finally get it right! :lol:

Ben, who care how long it takes, build for yourself above all, and every mistake you make will just make you a better builder in the long run. No matter what, finish it off, even if it isn't what you pictured in the first place. The biggest stumbling block to scratch-building and customizing is not finishing. Once you've got some success under your belt, whether it's right or not, you can move on to the next one with the confidence that you'll finish. And amazingly, the next one will be better!

I always went with the thought "Measure once, cut twice, glue thrice." Seems to not work for me.

Just remember, it's not scratchbuilding till you draw blood!

Enjoying the start of your build. Have fun and keep at it.

Later- 

Edited by Modlbldr

Ben, this looks like a GREAT project. I just finished a Pacer wagon recently and had a blast with it. I'll be looking forward to seeing this come about. As far as the engineering goes, check out the MPC Hemi Hunter Dart kit. It might give you some insight on the rear engine thing