Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint to Match GM Elkhart Blue

Anybody know of a close match to Elkhart Blue GM code WA3649 in a rattle-can? I've found some from Automotive Touchup, but it's way more than I'll ever need (at least for the time that one would expect the paint to be good) and it's $20+S&H which is more than I really want to spend if I can avoid it...it doesn't have to be an exact color-code match, just something close. Thanks!

If it's the '67 Corvette color I'm thinking of, you're looking for a medium metallic blue-gray. I don't know of any such in a rattlecan, but look around at auto-parts and home improvement stores and you never know what you might find.

I think I could mix it up for airbrush using Model Master Olds Engine Blue and their Anthracite Gray, but I gather that's not an option for you.

Good luck!

Dupli-Color T155 Light Blue will get you fairly close, especially if you put it on over grey primer.

Be advised that it's lacquer and you'll need some kind of barrier if you're gonna paint a plastic model

Your auto parts chain stores will carry Dupli-Color but you'll have to call & see if they stock that part number

If it's the '67 Corvette color I'm thinking of, you're looking for a medium metallic blue-gray. I don't know of any such in a rattlecan, but look around at auto-parts and home improvement stores and you never know what you might find.

I think I could mix it up for airbrush using Model Master Olds Engine Blue and their Anthracite Gray, but I gather that's not an option for you.

Good luck!

That's the one! Actually, I could do that as I just picked up an airbrush not long ago (haven't used it yet...in the process of building a paint booth to go along with it), but I hadn't considered doing so. My struggle would be knowing what colors to mix and what ratios to use until I get a feel for it, but with your color suggestions I may try that and see what I can come up with if I can't find anything else...any clue what ratio's you'd use, or would you just start 50/50 and go from there?

Dupli-Color T155 Light Blue will get you fairly close, especially if you put it on over grey primer.

Be advised that it's lacquer and you'll need some kind of barrier if you're gonna paint a plastic model

Your auto parts chain stores will carry Dupli-Color but you'll have to call & see if they stock that part number

Okay, I'll see if I can find a can of that and see how close it matches..I primer everything, so that should give me the necessary barrier I need.

You might try the old spoon tests with various Testors blues over a black base...

I considered that but I don't have many extra shades of blue yet so I figure if I'm gonna spend $15-$20 trying various shades, I may as well just buy the factory-code can and be done with it (which I may still end up doing).

What I do when mixing paint is, I get a piece of sheet styrene or something similar and some toothpicks. I start by dripping ONE large drop of each color next to each other with the toothpicks, and then mix them together with a toothpick to see what color I get. This quickly tells me if I need more of one color or the other, and then I repeat using two drops of one and one of the other, or three or whatever, until I get where I want. This is quick and doesn't waste paint, but tells me about what ratio of things I need to pour in the bottle.

What I do when mixing paint is, I get a piece of sheet styrene or something similar and some toothpicks. I start by dripping ONE large drop of each color next to each other with the toothpicks, and then mix them together with a toothpick to see what color I get. This quickly tells me if I need more of one color or the other, and then I repeat using two drops of one and one of the other, or three or whatever, until I get where I want. This is quick and doesn't waste paint, but tells me about what ratio of things I need to pour in the bottle.

Awesome tip...so simple but not something I thought of. Thanks!

If you already have an airbrush then just order the correct color from Scale Finishes and get started using the airbrush. You don't need a spray booth to start airbrushing, do it outside, in the garage, anywhere really. I have been planning to build a spray booth for 30 years and still have not got around to it.

Well, no I don't need a spray booth any more than I needed an airbrush, but it'll nice to have, especially since I want to have it in the basement with my hobby bench so I don't have to setup/tear down as much every time I want to use it, and I'm already 3/4 of the way through building it. But thanks for the info about scale finishes...I wasn't aware they existed. That may be the easiest way to go.