Model Cars Magazine Forum

TO ALL THE AMT CHEVY CAMEO EXPERTS......

hello to all our members....I just today bought the AMT 55 Chev Cameo pickup, pale yellow version, and looked it over for a future build. when I checked the many builts on our forum, and quite nice that they are,,,many comments by the builders made comments that the kit has major problems and issues. some even saying one of the worst kits ever, and so on, so, I ask our esteemed members....what are the pitfalls and problems I have to look out for, and thank you gents.....best,,,the Ace................:huh:

Edited by AC Norton
text

#1 problem is that the bottom of the door windows isn't right. The line slopes down, front to back, where it should be parallel to the top of the window, the bottom of the cab, etc. Five minute fix with a file, but then you have to re-engineer the vent windows, not really THAT big of a deal.

Can't recall any other problems I've ever heard about the kit.

#1 problem is that the bottom of the door windows isn't right. The line slopes down, front to back, where it should be parallel to the top of the window, the bottom of the cab, etc. Five minute fix with a file, but then you have to re-engineer the vent windows, not really THAT big of a deal.

Can't recall any other problems I've ever heard about the kit.

thanks, David for your help re. the windshield....now, I must ask Dr. Snake the plastic surgeon...I just looked at several real 55 Cameo pictures on google....and I'm not seeing what you boys are...when I hold the cab up to photos, it  appears like the kit cab to me....am I blind or just not getting it here....I'm not big on hack, cut, patch and bodywork,,,the Ace...:blink:

The cab side window problem was corrected years ago. Pretty sure it was before the yellow version. 

thank you, Steve....thought I was seeing double or something.....pretty certain the drugs from the 70s have worn off by now...lol....the Ace.........:lol:

The cab side window problem was corrected years ago. Pretty sure it was before the yellow version.

Very cool. I have a first-issue copy of the kit, and I don't think I've ever seen a built one that didn't have the window slant problem. Good to know it's fixed now.

The early version of that kit do have the window problem, however it was correct when the 2nd run of them came out.

On the windshield, it was never truly accurate to begin with. On the kit, it's supposed to mount flush with the  cab roof edge. That is incorrect to how the 1:1 truck is. The top of the windshield is actually about 3" back from the edge, creating a "Cadet Peak" roofline (along with LOTS of wind noise!). BTW, the wndow gaskets are molded to the windshield and back glass.

One other major issue with this kit is the lack of the door steps and rear cab floor. This is very noticeable looking from the bottom of the kit. It is not hard to fix, though.

There's a few other minor issues with accuracy, like the grille sitting too far out and a wave that's in the driver's front fender styling crease, but overall, it really isn't a bad kit.

Edited by Longbox55

I built this one over 15 years ago. don't mind the dust. LOL Corrected the side windows as this was built from the first issue. BTW, these trucks only came in white with red trim from the factory.

113 1348

I simply boxed in the foot wells on mine with sheet plastic. No one ever sees it anyway.

113 1355