Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Monogram 1957 Ford Del Rio Wagon

RDean58

Started in September 10, 2015.  Completed April 2, 2016.

Painted Tamiya Light gun metal. Intake system from Revell 57 Ford Tudor, wheels from AMT 36 Ford, tires are from an AMT parts pack tire package. Interior is Tamiya German gray, Medium gray, and sky gray. Steering wheel is from AMT 57 Ford Fairlane 500 kit. License plate decals are from Revell 57 Ford Tudor kit. This color is suppose to replicate the special paint that was available from Ford in mid 57 on the Thunderbirds.

1957%20Ford%20Del%20Rio%20Front%20View.j

1957%20Ford%20Del%20Rio.jpg

1957%20Ford%20Del%20Rio%20Passenger%20Si

42.jpg

3.jpg

32.jpg

37.jpg

1957%20Ford%20Del%20Rio%20Rear%20view.jp

Thanks for looking.

Very well done!! It looks really good in that color. We have a 1:1 '56 T-bird in our stable that is a very similar color, that was also supposed to be a special order t-bird only color, but I think if the color of the handshake was gold you could have had any car in any color you wanted!

The '57 looks killer in Gunmetal Gray. Also liked the wheels and tires. 

When I built a Custom Tudor with the E-Code Y I had to scratchbuild the factory air cleaner. Revell didn't care about tooling it. There is one that looks close in the AMT '56 Ford kit, but it's in fact an aftermarket air cleaner for dual quads. The factory dual quad air cleaner for 1956 wasn't even round. 

1957 Ford Custom Tudor E Code by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

The '57 looks killer in Gunmetal Gray. Also liked the wheels and tires. 

When I built a Custom Tudor with the E-Code Y I had to scratchbuild the factory air cleaner. Revell didn't care about tooling it. There is one that looks close in the AMT '56 Ford kit, but it's in fact an aftermarket air cleaner for dual quads. The factory dual quad air cleaner for 1956 wasn't even round. 

17745428824_8e3087dbc8_c.jpg1957 Ford Custom Tudor E Code by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Hey, that looks killer!  Yeah, I knew the duel air cleaners were not stock & the chromed 56 unit wasn't accurate. Since I did not want to build one I just went with what came in the Tudor kit.  Love your engine and exhaust manifolds, they look real.

Hey, that looks killer!  Yeah, I knew the duel air cleaners were not stock & the chromed 56 unit wasn't accurate. Since I did not want to build one I just went with what came in the Tudor kit.  Love your engine and exhaust manifolds, they look real.

If Revell had at least chrome plated that two little air cleaners...

I used them little ones from the kit at first on the '57, but something kept bugging me (factory stock freak here!!) and I ended scratchbuilding the correct one. 

On latter times I'm very disappointed with Revell. A '48 Ford one can't build stock, a '49 Mercury one can't build stock, and a stock '49 Mercury wagon... Without the stock V8. That's why I won't buy a Del Rio. Already have a pile of Custom Tudors for my all colors project (to build one in each color offered in 1957) but won't be buying Revell anymore. 

If Revell had at least chrome plated that two little air cleaners...

I used them little ones from the kit at first on the '57, but something kept bugging me (factory stock freak here!!) and I ended scratchbuilding the correct one. 

On latter times I'm very disappointed with Revell. A '48 Ford one can't build stock, a '49 Mercury one can't build stock, and a stock '49 Mercury wagon... Without the stock V8. That's why I won't buy a Del Rio. Already have a pile of Custom Tudors for my all colors project (to build one in each color offered in 1957) but won't be buying Revell anymore. 

Not to get off subject here guys, but don't give up on Revell quite yet Tulio! If you combine the AMT '49 Merc coupe with the Revell wagon (I used the engine, skirts, spotlights, tires, and a few other pieces from the coupe), it builds up into a very nice model!